Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Parakeet - London UK

Old Tuesday 16th October 2018, 11:10   #1
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons

Parakeet - London UK

I've had Ring-necked Parakeets regularly feeding on the Sunflower Hearts for about three years - I see them at different stages of moult and all ages from fledged to adult... but this is the first male that I've seen like this. I thought it was an escaped Alexandrine Parakeet at first glance, but there's no red flash on the wings for a start - so that leaves hybrid or moulting or colour aberration.

What do you think?

(Bad light yesterday, so only managed this shot through the window. If needed, I'll get better pics if the light is better if/when he returns)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08833RGp900n.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	516.1 KB
ID:	677444  
Old Tuesday 16th October 2018, 11:44   #2
satyachil
Tally ho!

Looks like a standard male ring necked parakeet to me. What appears unusual to you?
Old Tuesday 16th October 2018, 12:38   #3
PYRTLE

Just think the neck ring is slightly redder than the normal pinky colour.
Old Tuesday 16th October 2018, 14:32   #4
ChrisKten

Thanks for replying... yeah, redder neck-ring, and more width at the back of it exposed than I'm used to seeing. I thought it was head position, but the same width was visible whatever position the head and neck was in. I'd expect to see a thin pinkish-red line, not a wide reddish patch.

I'll put it down to how the feathers are laying, as I see no obvious signs (pin feathers) of moult.
Old Tuesday 16th October 2018, 15:22   #5
stevethehydra

I have heard that there were some Alexandrine parakeets in the original founding population of Psittacula in London, so there may have been hybridisation and some of the "Ring-necked" parakeets may be part Alexandrine (probably a few generations back). Though I'm not too sure whether hybridisation would occur successfully given the significant size difference...
Old Tuesday 16th October 2018, 15:30   #6
PYRTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethehydra View Post
I have heard that there were some Alexandrine parakeets in the original founding population of Psittacula in London, so there may have been hybridisation and some of the "Ring-necked" parakeets may be part Alexandrine (probably a few generations back). Though I'm not too sure whether hybridisation would occur successfully given the significant size difference...
Not likely as you say due to the size and species differences. The original theory is that a few ring necked parakeets escaped from a film set at Shepperton Studios back in the late 1950s and from this flock a feral population became established in the area and thus grew into the tens of thousands throughout London and the Home Counties.
Old Tuesday 16th October 2018, 16:44   #7
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Could be an escaped fancy breed of Ring-necked Parakeet (or have one such in its ancestry). Not Alexandrine, that's bigger and with an obviously huge bill.

Last edited by Nutcracker : Tuesday 16th October 2018 at 16:47.
Old Tuesday 16th October 2018, 18:47   #8
satyachil
Tally ho!

There are many colour mutations in P. Krameri. Dark rose ring colour is one known one.
I think the UK p.krameri population has had multiple injections of seeding populations over at least 100 years. These parakeets have been exported from India and Africa across the world for many centuries.
Old Saturday 20th October 2018, 12:23   #9
Joern Lehmhus

Roseringed x alexandrine have hybridzed both in captivity and in feral populations
As far as I know the hybrids are at least partially fertile. F1 hybrids have a pale orange brown wing patch and the neck ring is wider in the nape.
http://www.psittacula-world.com/Spec...am-X-P.eup.jpg

I do not know how backcrosses to krameri would look but at least such an outcome with a broader neck band is possible, id say.
Old Saturday 20th October 2018, 15:42   #10
ChrisKten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joern Lehmhus View Post
Roseringed x alexandrine have hybridzed both in captivity and in feral populations
As far as I know the hybrids are at least partially fertile. F1 hybrids have a pale orange brown wing patch and the neck ring is wider in the nape.
http://www.psittacula-world.com/Spec...am-X-P.eup.jpg

I do not know how backcrosses to krameri would look but at least such an outcome with a broader neck band is possible, id say.
Ah, thanks for that, Joern... interesting info
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: