• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski ATS80 HD(?) + NIKON ED82 (1 Viewer)

TREEBUG

Hi folks,

I'm considering this scope and was wondering how it compares to the HD version. I'm also considering the Nikon ED82 and was wondering how that would compare to the ATS80 (non HD).

Any opinions would be really appreciated as this is my first scope.

Thanks,

:t:

Hi folks,

I'm considering this scope and was wondering how it compares to the HD version. I'm also considering the Nikon ED82 and was wondering how that would compare to the ATS80 (non HD).

Any opinions would be really appreciated as this is my first scope.

Thanks,

:t:

Hi I used to have the leica apo 62 but sold it a while back, I now have the ATS80 HD, I have to say the scope is so fantastic everytime I look through it I am totally amazed at the quality of the optics.

Mark

Hi Treebug,

The ATS80HD and the ED82 are both optically fantastic scopes. Just get the ED/HD - it IS noticeably better and IMO always worth the price. If you can afford one of these top guns for your first scope, it may very well become your last scope. And then it may have actually saved you money. I assume you prefer the "helical" focusing system, because the other top scopes utilize smaller focus screws (otherwise you could consider also the Kowa, Zeiss and Leica).

There are some slight differences between these two models and you may have to test yourself if they are significant for you. Nikon's zoom has higher power, narrower field-of-view and shorter eye-relief than the Swaro zoom. Nikon has several excellent fixed wide-angle eyepieces, but unlike Swaro not a 20x, which is very nice for digiscoping. Swaro's colour cast is slightly cool (bluish) and many (including me) feel that Nikon's colours are perhaps more natural - but this is difficult/impossible to see unless you have the two scopes side-by-side. Nikon's focuser has a *very* fast gearing, but it is extremely smooth and precise - you can get used to it, but some feel it "too fast" in the beginning. Both scopes are compact, extremely well made and seem to have consistently high quality. Swarovski's warranty and legendary after-sales service may be one reason for their stellar prices. From Henry Link's and Kimmo Absetz' excellent posts I have learnt that Nikon's unique prism design may help to reduce sample variation (no need for phase coating and the roof edge of the prism is out of the field-of-view), but this means that the eyepiece is not centrally aligned.

I have an older Swarovski myself and I would probably choose the ATS80HD over the ED82, but then I have glasses (->ER), I digiscope (-> low power, ER) and I don't do long distance seawatching very often. IMO Nikon has a much better value, but unfortunately lacks some important features/options (ER, FOV, 20x). Well, you asked for opinions - here was mine. ;)

Good luck,

Ilkka

I can't add anything technical to Iporali's post. So here are a few fairly obvious observations. I have the ED82A and love it. I used to have the ATS65HD, and have used a friend's 80mm version. The Swaro scope is ergonomically "nicer" (IMO)...the Nikon is clunkier to the touch, and isn't all rubber-armoured. The metal parts are an unusual, some would say downright revolting, colour. However, these are fairly trivial points (again, IMO), because I far prefer the Nikon view. Much richer and more contrasty to my eye. I've never had occasion to use Nikon's aftersales service, but whenever I've used Swaro's (for scope or bins), I've found them unbelieveably helpful and disinclined to take any money for any repairs. On the other hand, the Nikon scope leaves you with considerable change in your pocket (compared to the Swaro), enough to buy yourself a pair of premium (Nikon?) bins and a really nice tripod. Try both, choose what suits you, and you'll never have to think about spending any more dosh on a scope.

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful. I have auditioned both scopes along with the 80mm version of the Swarovski. All three had a lovely bright and rich image using the fixed 30x on the Swarovski scopes (couldnt see any difference in brightness between the 65 and 80) and I love the ergonomics of the Swarovski scopes, and as weight is a factor for me I have decided to rule the Nikon out.

Its the 65 for me then, along with the carbon tripod it's not too much to carry any distance and the image and field of view with the 30x lense is bloomin impressive to my eyes.

Thanks again for your replies and help!

Rob.

Now then, just need to decide on the bin's!! (see seperate posting)

Last edited:
Hi Treebug - I notice Warehouse Express are doing the ED82 for £669 (angled body only) a saving of £210 this month. That compares with £1,169 for the Swaro ATS80HD (angled body only) form the same source at t his time.

cheers
Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back