• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovski eyepiece info? (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

As the new and very happy owner of an AT80 HD with 20/60 zoom I will be looking to purchase at least one fixed mag eyepiece, probably 30x.

Any advise please on which of the swaro eyepieces will fit this scope and also the eyepiece terminology, ie S, SW etc.

cheers JMI

All of the current eyepieces fit, as well as the older ones that were for the AT80.
"S" means sealed/waterproof, so if you drop the eyepiece in a cowpat you can wash it in a bucket of water.
"W" means wide-angle.

I use a 30x SW in preference to the 20-60 zoom that I got with my AT80HD

hearsay...
The 20SW may vignette slightly as it's wider angle than the scope body will cope with.
The magnification is slightly higher than spec as the AT80 has a slightly longer focal length than the ATS80 (30x -> 32x or similar).

hearsay...
The 20SW may vignette slightly as it's wider angle than the scope body will cope with.

I use the 20xSW with the AT80HD and there is absolutely no problem. The FOV *may* be very slightly limited by the objective, but it is very wide nevertheless - and the whole field is perfectly "usable" (no edge shadowing or softening) even in digiscoping.

One feature that does not function with the new eyepieces is locking mechanism. Older scope bodies don't provide locking pin for the new eyepieces - but the older eyepieces were non-lockable anyway...

Best regards,

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back