• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oriolidae (1 Viewer)

Matysiokova, Beata; Friedman, Nick; Turčoková, Lucia; Remes, Vladimir. The evolution of feather coloration and song in Old World orioles (genus Oriolus). Journal of Avian Biology, recently accepted article.

[abstract]

Jonsson K.A., Blom M.P.K., Marki P., Joseph L., Sangster G., Ericson P. & Irestedt M. (2018) Complete subspecies-level phylogeny of the Oriolidae (Aves: Passeriformes): Out of Australasia and return. In Review

Jonsson K.A., Blom M.P.K., Marki P., Joseph L., Sangster G., Ericson P. & Irestedt M. (2018) Complete subspecies-level phylogeny of the Oriolidae (Aves: Passeriformes): Out of Australasia and return. In Review

Ambitious, interesting! Hoping for a resolution/solution of the headscratchingly complex chinensis situation.

Ambitious, interesting! Hoping for a resolution/solution of the headscratchingly complex chinensis situation.

Knud Andreas Jønsson, Mozes PK Blom, Petter Zahl Marki, Leo Joseph, George Sangster, Per GP Ericson and Martin Irestedt, 2019. Complete subspecies-level phylogeny of the Oriolidae (Aves: Passeriformes): Out of Australasia and return. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, Available online 23 March 2019, In Press, Accepted Manuscript

Abstract
Old World orioles (Oriolidae) are medium-sized passerine birds confined largely to forested areas of Africa, Eurasia and Australasia. We present a new complete molecular (mtDNA) subspecies level phylogeny of the Oriolidae including all 113 taxa (35 species) together with a backbone phylogeny of 19 taxa from the main Oriolus clades based on i) 21 nuclear genes, ii) whole mito-genomes, and iii) genome-wide ultraconserved elements. We use this phylogeny to assess systematic relationships and the biogeographical history of this avian family. Furthermore, we use morphological measurements to investigate the relationship between size and shape axes and upstream or back-colonization of this extensive island region from Asia. We show that several subspecies or groups of subspecies may warrant species rank and we find a continental example of two morphologically distinct species (O. mellianus/ O. traillii) being genetically very similar. Biogeographically, we confirm previous findings that members of the Oriolidae originated in Australo-Papua. Dispersal out of this area took place around 15 Mya to southeast Asia and Africa, and from Africa to the Palearctic followed by recolonization of the Indonesian and Philippine island region during the Plio-Pleistocene. Recolonisation of the Indonesian and Philippine islands coincided with an increase in body size, which may have facilitated the ability to co-exist with other congenerics.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1055790318306444

Knud Andreas Jønsson, Mozes PK Blom, Petter Zahl Marki, Leo Joseph, George Sangster, Per GP Ericson and Martin Irestedt, 2019. Complete subspecies-level phylogeny of the Oriolidae (Aves: Passeriformes): Out of Australasia and return. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, Available online 23 March 2019, In Press, Accepted Manuscript

Anyone have access? Sounds like a very interesting study! :news:

Very interesting study! I’ve now read it through and, without recommending a new taxanomy, they highlight several possible changes based on deep genetic divergensies. I’ve tried to summarize them below (differences compared to IOC):

Oriolus melanotis
  • Oriolus finschi
  • Oriolus melanotis

Oriolus xanthonotus
  • Oriolus xanthonotus (incl. mentawi)
  • Oriolus consobrinus (incl. persuasus)

Oriolus steerii
  • Oriolus steerii (incl. assimilis)
  • Oriolus samarensis
  • Oriolus cinereogenys (incl. basilanicus)

Oriolus auratus
  • Oriolus auratus
  • Oriolus notatus

Oriolus chinensis
  • Oriolus diffusus
  • Oriolus macrourus (incl. andamanensis)
  • Oriolus chinensis (incl. all other ssp)

Oriolus brachyrynchus
  • Oriolus brachyrynchus
  • Oriolus laetior

Oriolus nigripennis
  • Oriolus nigripennis
  • Oriolus alleni

Oriolus xanthornus
  • Oriolus xanthornus (incl. reubeni, tanakae)
  • Oriolus maderaspatanus (incl. ceylonensis)

Oriolus cruentus
  • Oriolus cruentus
  • Oriolus consanguineus (incl. malayanus, vulneratus)

Oriolus traillii
  • Oriolus traillii (incl. robinsoni, mellianus)
  • Oriolus arbens (incl. nigellicauda)

This is reading from the text, so hopefully got it right!

Last edited:
As usual, I propose my classification, based on the tree provided in the paper. Tell me if I'm wrong, if I overestimate the number of species

Famille Oriolidae Vigors, 1825
Sous-famille Oriolinae Vigors, 1825

Genre Analcipus Swainson, 1831

Analcipus consanguineus Wardlaw-Ramsay, 1881
Analcipus cruentus (Wagler, 1827)
Analcipus hosii (Sharpe, 1892)
Analcipus malayanus Robinson & Kloss, 1923
Analcipus nigellicauda (Swinhoe, 1870)
Analcipus traillii (Vigors, 1832)
Analcipus vulneratus Sharpe, 1887

Genre Mimeta Vigors & Horsfield, 1827

Mimeta bouroensis (Quoy & Gaimard, 1830)
Mimeta decipiens Sclater, 1883
Mimeta finschii (Hartert, 1904)
Mimeta flavocinctus (King, 1826)
Mimeta forsteni Bonaparte, 1850
Mimeta isabellae (Ogilvie-Grant, 1894)
Mimeta melanotis Bonaparte, 1850
Mimeta phaeochromus (Gray, 1861)
Mimeta sagittatus (Latham, 1801)
Mimeta szalayi (von Madarász, 1900)

Genre Oriolus Linnaeus, 1766

Oriolus albiloris Ogilvie-Grant, 1894
Oriolus alleni Amadon, 1953
Oriolus andamanensis Beavan, 1867
Oriolus assimilis Tweeddale, 1878
Oriolus auratus Vieillot, 1817
Oriolus basilanicus Ogilvie-Grant, 1896
Oriolus boneratensis Meyer & Wiglesworth, 1896
Oriolus brachyrynchus Swainson, 1837
Oriolus broderipi Bonaparte, 1850
Oriolus celebensis (Walden, 1872)
Oriolus chinensis Linnaeus, 1766
Oriolus chlorocephalus Shelley, 1896
Oriolus cinereogenys Bourns & Worcester, 1894
Oriolus consobrinus Wardlaw-Ramsay, 1880
Oriolus crassirostris Hartlaub, 1857
Oriolus diffusus Sharpe, 1877
Oriolus formosus Cabanis, 1872
Oriolus frontalis Wallace, 1863
Oriolus kundoo Sykes, 1832
Oriolus oriolus (Linnaeus, 1758)
Oriolus laetior Sharpe, 1897
Oriolus larvatus Lichtenstein, 1823
Oriolus macrourus Blyrh, 1846
Oriolus maculatus Vieillot, 1817
Oriolus maderaspatanus Franklin, 1831
Oriolus monacha (Gmelin, 1789)
Oriolus nigripennis Verreaux & Verreaux, 1855
Oriolus notatus Peters, 1868
Oriolus percivali Ogilvie-Grant, 1903
Oriolus samarensis Steere, 1890
Oriolus sipora Chasen & Kloss, 1926
Oriolus steerii Sharpe, 1877
Oriolus tenuirostris Blyth, 1846
Oriolus xanthonotus Horsfield, 1821
Oriolus xanthornus (Linnaeus, 1758)

Last edited:
As usual, I propose my classifification, based on the tree provided in the paper. Tell me if I'm wrong, if I overestimate the number of species

Famille Oriolidae Vigors, 1825
Sous-famille Oriolinae Vigors, 1825

Genre Analcipus Swainson, 1831

Analcipus consanguineus Wardlaw-Ramsay, 1881
Analcipus cruentus (Wagler, 1827)
Analcipus hosii (Sharpe, 1892)
Analcipus malayanus Robinson & Kloss, 1923
Analcipus nigellicauda (Swinhoe, 1870)
Analcipus traillii (Vigors, 1832)
Analcipus vulneratus Sharpe, 1887
A. ardens instead of nigellicaudus or is there a good reason?

I use the names they use....... ��

My apologies buddy, I was heading out and had no time to formulate a proper, coherent question! |:$|
Something like this: If combined wouldn't Analcipus ardens (Swinhoe, 1862) have priority over A. nigellicauda (Swinhoe, 1870)?

Sticking with Analcipus.
ICBW treats the endangered Silver Oriole (mellianus) as split but included in traillii in the above paper.
Thoughts anyone?
If in future ardens is split 'Crimson Oriole' might make a good English name IMhO, unless of course it has one already. ;)

I notice your list lacks a Mimeta species "Isabella Oriole" (Oriolus isabellae in ICBW) split from M. albiloris.
Just in case you missed it! :king:

As an aside an observation. The established English names for many of these orioles are terrible!
On ICBW's plate on p.259 there is one "Black-hooded Oriole" species. Fair enough but there are also a further six black "hooded" yellow species on the same plate, more if you count potential splits!
I know renaming is unpopular but these would surely be better off called "X, Y, or Z Hooded Oriole"

My apologies buddy, I was heading out and had no time to formulate a proper, coherent question! |:$|
Something like this: If combined wouldn't Analcipus ardens (Swinhoe, 1862) have priority over A. nigellicauda (Swinhoe, 1870)?

I don't really know what to say. I don't know the position of ardens compared to nigellicauda.

I notice your list lacks a Mimeta species "Isabella Oriole" (Oriolus isabellae in ICBW) split from M. albiloris.
Just in case you missed it! :king:

Mimeta bouroensis (Quoy & Gaimard, 1830)
Mimeta decipiens Sclater, 1883
Mimeta finschii (Hartert, 1904)
Mimeta flavocinctus (King, 1826)
Mimeta forsteni Bonaparte, 1850
Mimeta isabellae (Ogilvie-Grant, 1894)
Mimeta melanotis Bonaparte, 1850
Mimeta phaeochromus (Gray, 1861)
Mimeta sagittatus (Latham, 1801)
Mimeta szalayi (von Madarász, 1900)

Are you sure ?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back