• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdfair 2019 (1 Viewer)

Thanks so much Lee.
Any news about the new Meostar?

Hi Rob

I guess you mean the new B1.1 MeoStars since the long-awaited B2s have yet to appear. I didn't get the chance to settle down for a good look through them but a quick try-out showed the familiar transparancy that I have come to enjoy so much. The locking dioptre feature appears to do what it says on the tin and its neat, but a proper wander and scramble around a rough Scottish coastline is needed to verify this.

Its a tiny point but by calling it B1.1 I reckon Meopta are being open and honest about this being a very mild update. It also suggests to me that when B2 does eventually arrive it will not replace B1.1 but will sit one level up from it. But that is just my speculation.

Lee

Thanks everyone for the updates, too bad about the mud.

Andy W.

Hi Andy
Didn't see any amusing incidents at the Fair, despite or because of the mud. But I had to smile at the attractive little bear sitting on top of a display cabinet on the Meopta stand and wearing a fetching Meopta t-shirt, and seemingly in charge of the MeoStand.

Lee

CJ.

The ER is listed as 17mm and with my new close fitting specs, I needed to twist out the eyecups a little. Perhaps 1.5mm? That would probably make something like 15- 15.5mm available? The field curvature was fairly shallow with relatively little softening at the edges in the 6.5x. The weight is listed as 535g.

David
Thanks David :t:

A very interesting wide angle range of binoculars. A 126m 10×42 certainly sounds very enticing. You mentioned a bit of disappointment with CA levels and distortions in the 8×. How did you find the Brightness? Sharpness? Colour Rendition? and Glare Resistance? (<->Contrast) of the range. What about the mechanics? how would you rate the focus precision /speed ? and what is the direction to infinity ? Thanks.

How would you rate these bins in relation to rest of the market offerings?

Chosun :gh:

CJ,

I'm not at all sure Kowa had the finished article on show at Birdfair. They didn't seem consistent with having two high quality XD (ED) lenses, but I would say things looked rather promising by all those other measures. I just feel it's best to wait until the first shipments arrive in September/October befor saying too much.

David

Thanks Lee and David for the feedback on the new Kowa BD II (and CJ for asking the questions).

A new 6.5x32 has brought me out of hibernation. These are uncommon. This is the first I'm hearing about it.
The huge FOV is intriguing ... will wait for the reviews/impressions in the Fall.

Last edited:
These RSPB HD 6.5x32 9 degree wide angle binoculars have been out for a while if people are interested in that format.

Attachments

• rspb.jpg
    rspb.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 205
Thanks Lee and David for the feedback on the new Kowa BD II (and CJ for asking the questions).

A new 6.5x32 has brought me out of hibernation. These are uncommon. This is the first I'm hearing about it.
The huge FOV is intriguing ... will wait for the reviews/impressions in the Fall.

Hi Beth :hi:

I was thinking you'd be curious about these ! :cat:
175m Fov (525ft @1,000yds) is a pretty impressive feat ! There might very well be enough ER to make them useful and nice to use too :t:

David - no worries :t: let's see what the sorted production models bring in terms of IQ etc :cat:

The IS technology of the new Opticron x30s seems much better than the previous monocular, though the 12x30 took a second or two to hit it's stride, which was a bit disconcerting. These preproduction samples appeared to be sharper than the Viking equivalent that's been on the market for a while.

David

Were any prices mentioned for these please David?

Were any prices mentioned for these please David?

Opticron haven't fixed a price yet, as the currency exchange rate might well shift a bit by the time they are shipped, but I gather they are hoping to list it below that of the Viking version. I'm not sure preproduction samples are always a reliable indicator of what's to come, but Opticron's appeared sharper to me.

David

175m Fov (525ft @1,000yds) is a pretty impressive feat ! There might very well be enough ER to make them useful and nice to use too :t:

David - no worries :t: let's see what the sorted production models bring in terms of IQ etc :cat:

Yep I looked at the specs online earlier and was amazed by the listed FOV.
I hope the sweet spot is a good size. Hoping there will be at least a couple of mini reviews of the 6.5x once they are available.

Just remembered something ... Allbinos review of the current BD XD revealed true FOV less than Kowa's listed specs. So, maybe we need to be skeptical of the stated FOV for this new version until we get a real measurement.

https://www.allbinos.com/300-binoculars_review-Kowa_BD_8x32_XD_Prominar.html

A Kowa BDII 6.5x32 XD with a 10 degree FOV! WOW! I'm all in! Were talking a Mini-Nikon WX 7x50 here for way less money! That is a 65 degree AFOV! SWEET! Put me down for one. Beth, I will write a review.

Last edited:
Don't hibernate YET! It is not winter yet.B :)

I like to hibernate in Summer when it's super hot out.

Honestly, I can't wait for summer to end. It's been very hot and humid here in NJ this summer. Today was another boiler. The humidity made it feel worse. Did a few errands before work and clothes were sticking to me in no time...went to work feeling gross.

I'll come out in Fall :cat:

I like to hibernate in Summer when it's super hot out.

Honestly, I can't wait for summer to end. It's been very hot and humid here in NJ this summer. Today was another boiler. The humidity made it feel worse. Did a few errands before work and clothes were sticking to me in no time...went to work feeling gross.

I'll come out in Fall :cat:
I am the same way. I prefer it cool. Fortunately Colorado is dry. The average temperature seems to be hotter though so I think there is something to this climate warming. I can't stand it back east with the humidity. We used to go to Joliet, Illinois every summer when we were kids to see our grandparents and I hated it. I felt like taking a shower every hour.

Anyone got any comments about the Bird Fair on subjects apart from optics? Anybody been to lectures and presentations? Favourites? Celebrity
talks?

Perhaps because it's the Binocular Forum Sandra.

Why not try starting your own thread in the Birds & Birding one?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back