• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To List or not to list ? (1 Viewer)

Brian2

I post this thread to open up the debate about listing.
I have been birding all my life with a healthy appreciation of all wildlife around me when out at home, on holiday, on the way to work and even whilst at work I often find myself spoting something fly past a window and have to try to ID it....it's in the blood but I only started to list these sightings two years ago and it's added to my birding making it almost a sport now. My father has started coming oout and he too enjoys the sport of listing. Whilst I still love sitting and watching I do feel the need to list more than ever. Sitting in a hide a few weeks ago I spoke to a new birder helping him find his first Bittern and he tld me he'd never be a lister couldn't see the sense etc etc and then as soon as I pointed out a Cetti's warbler he turned to his wife and she ticked it in her book.....this surely makes him a lister!
I suppose for me the issue will be if ever the list becomes more important than the day out.

check out my blog which I've written as a record of the challenge I've set to list 250 birds this year. It's taking me to some wonderful places but on occassion I do find myself missing the day as it has (only a couple of times) been victim to the chase.

I use BUBO to list the sightings as I'm sure most do but I'd be interested in others points of view on the merits of listing and it's ability to ruin a good day out.

briansbirding.blogspot.co.uk

I too am a lister, but do it for a number of reasons, along with simply enjoying it! I often use my lists to keep track of species I should be looking for in certain areas at certain times of the year; to check to numbers of certain species - wax & wane - over time; simply keeping a species list for each park, area, county that I bird; I document types of behaviors seen while out birding in my lists as well.....

Though when I say that I list, it is not a matter of simply ticking the bird and going on my merry way!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back