• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WIN Opticron Countryman HD Binoculars worth $500 (US / Canada Only) (1 Viewer)

weight
waterproofing
magnification

i get my stuff from rei, largely because of their return policy, and thats where i go fr everything else in life...

1. Sharpness.
2. Field of view. Along with the actual FOV, the representation of the image must be spacious and not restricted. I've come across some binoculars with smaller actual FOV that I liked better because the image appeared more spacious than ones with larger actual FOV.
3. Color bias/contrast. I like accurate rich colors with great contrast. I feel a good contrast actually helps with apparent sharpness, especially at a distance.

If these three don't line up for me then it really doesn't matter how great the ergos are or a great warranty or whatever else. All the other stuff comes into play after I find that the first three are acceptable to me.

My favorite optics dealer is CameralandNY.com. They are honest, freindly and always have great deals and service!

Last edited:
1. Optical Quality, along with specific dimensions (i.e., 8x42)
2. Warranty. I've received such excellent service pertaining to lifetime warranties that I wouldn't buy anything else.
3. Comfort while wearing glasses.

I purchase from Wild Birds Unlimited in Guelph, which has offered me amazing service in the years I have been buying from there.

1. Sharpness, at least in the majority of the FOV.
2. Lack of CA.
3. Long eye relief.

Favorite dealers are Binoculars.com, CameralandNY.com and Eagle Optics.

1. Optical formula
2. The mechanics of the focus wheel & multi-position eyecups.
3. Quality Control.

The internet is my favorite supplier. It provides several outlets that are qualified, well stocked helping to insure competitive prices and some older/discontinued models at a smart price/good value.

1) Vibrant image
2) Ergonomics
3) Sturdy construction
The Audubon Shop in Madison, Connecticut because Jerry (owner) will spend a lot of time with you comparing binoculars side-by-side outside of the shop and point out the differences between them.

1. resolution
2. field of view
3. light transmission/brightness

Cameraland NY participates in forums I frequent and has tremendous values and customer service.

1. How clear the view is through the binoculars
2. Ease of focus as well as how solid the focus mechanism is
3. Weight

I prefer Pelee Wings near Pt. Pelee, ON. Their staff is very knowledgeable in helping you pick optics and are willing to spend a lot of time with you to make sure you get the right equipment.

1. Low light performance
2. Sharpness of image
3. Smoothness of focus wheel

Cameraland is my preferred optics dealer. I buy from them, because they have great deals, and are always available to talk optics on the phone and make suggestions.

Image quality under less than ideal situations (i.e. Low light, glare, etc.)
Ruggedness and build quality
Ease of use ( i.e. Non-critical eye relief, holds IPD, wide FOV, ease of focus, etc.

Eagle Optics, Camera Land

1. Quality
2. Durability
3. Ergo

I usually only shop from Amazon.com because they are an easy, simple, and reliable source.

Besides price, what are the three most important things you consider when purchasing a binocular?

- field of view
- clarity / resolution of optics
- weight

Who is your preferred optics dealer and why do you like buying from them?

- Toss up between NYCameraland and Eagle Optics, both for customer service

1. Quality of the view
- flat field or large center
- Fairly bright
- No strong color bias
- Good CA handling
- 4+mm EP
- FMC, Phase Coated Dielectric coating, ED glass
2. Precise focus mechanism
3. Nice egronomics

No real preferrence on the vendor but most of my purchases have been on eBay lately because of price and availability. I have also been doing some manufacturer direct. I do not recall ever using one of the big name optics vendors. I tried Cameraland twice, but the walk didn't match the talk.

Last edited:
1) Resolution

2) FOV

3) Ergonomics (focuser, eyecups, etc)

Discount Binoculars in Mendocino, CA.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back