• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Yorkeys Knob list (1 Viewer)

My maths skills are coming to the fore again - have put Mistletoebird in twice but luckily have had
94 Striated Pardalote to make up for it!
Getting much harder to add things now - am going to have to drag the children out one night and see if I can find Large-tailed Nightjar again

Having said things were getting harder I managed to add two new ones in the last 24hrs - unless my reading has got even worse and I have already added these...
I spent late yesterday afternoon watching the local pair of Pacific Baza putting on a show (and managed to get a few reasonable flights pictures as well), whilst watching the Baza a Grey Goshawk flew through and then this morning when walking the children into school had a Forest Kingfisher
95 Grey Goshawk
96 Forest Kingfisher

Plus one that I have missed off (makes a change from putting them in twice)
97 Caspian Tern

Attachments

• IMG_9658.JPG
    IMG_9658.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9645.JPG
    IMG_9645.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Its been a while since i've added anything so was very pleased to have an Aus Pelican fly low over the house, it almost made up for missing a Red-necked Crake in my neighbours garden last week.
98 Aus Pelican
Am going to make a concerted effort in the next few days to try and find Large-tailed Nightjars as I haven't heard them from the house so far this year..

Sitting on the deck with friends have a couple of beers when a group of Tree Martins started to buzz around the.house. New.for the year and a suitable replacement for Torresian Crow which I had put in twice. Then the real bonus bird - flying through at roof top level Great-billed Heron.
98 Tree Martin
99 Great-billed Heron

Reached the ton today with Great Egret - cant believe not noticed one before but unless I have read it wrong have not got it on the list yet...
100 Great Egret

Despite good intension still not got out at night yet for Nightjars...I blame the wet and cold!

A really unexpected bonus this morning in the form of a single Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove flying lazily through the garden, its a species that I used to regularly see when I lived in Darwin but I have always drawn a blank in Queensland so this was a welcome addition to my QLD list.
101 Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove

Not moving far Allen just to Caravonica next suburb south.
Seems my numeracy skills are as bad as ever and Magpie Goose on twice so a couple of late additions
102 Large-tailed Nightjar
103 Aus Hobby
104 Pied Heron - a Queensland tick

Still visiting Yorkeys daily as the children are in school there so adding the occasional spp
105 Rufous Night Heron
106 Collared Sparrowhawk

107 Orange-footed Scrubfowl
The only new species for a while, a far better record though was of two Little Corellas flying through. They are not a common bird on the lowlands but this is the second time I have seen them this year!

Realised not updated this for a while and as the long summer holidays are fast approaching I won't be visiting Yorkeys much for the next couple of months so this could well be the last few spp for the year list, but there are a few goodies in it.....
108 Wedge-tailed Eagle - feeding in recently cut cane field in late September
109 Oriental Plover - 2 in recently cut cane field for a few days in Oct
110 - Pacific Golden Plover, 4 with the orientals
111 Barn Swallow over pools on the Golf Course in early Nov
112 Horsfields Bronze Cuckoo
113 White-faced Heron
114 Cattle Egret
115 Golden headed Cisticola
116 Brown Songlark sitting on the Yorkeys Knob sign last week!

Still got a couple of weeks to go so who knows but not a bad year especially as have not lived in Yorkeys for the last 5+ months

My final addition to the list was
118 Shining Flycatcher.

Not a bad total. With children changing schools I won't be back in Yorkeys much this year so I will not be keeping a year list for Yorkeys...possibly will keep a Cattana year list

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back