• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tawny Pipit (1 Viewer)

Thanks so much for flagging this up Grahame.

I've been searching for a replacement image. As I wouldn't know a Tawny (nor Long-billed if it comes to that) .... even if they bit me on the nose LOL.... what do you think about this one:

https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=390337

Do they actually have a different plumage in winter? I'm presuming this one is subspecies campestris?

That is a lovely image of a Tawny Pipit Delia and a very suitable replacement.

To answer your queries, no differences in winter but subtle differences depending on age i.e juvenile, 1st-w & adult. I do not know which taxonomy you follow but both IOC and HBW follow Alstrom (2003) in treating Tawny Pipit as monotypic on the basis that geographical differences do exist but are too slight and inconsistent to justify recognition as different subspecies.

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back