• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minor coment on Helianthea (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Key as per today

(syn. Coeligena Ϯ Blue-throated Starfrontlet C. helianthea) Specific name Ornismya helianthea Lesson, 1838; "Genus HELIANTHEA. Gen. char.—Rostrum longum, rectum vel sursum aliquanto tendens, cylindraceum. Nares basales, et plumis a rostri basi porrectis, obtectæ. Alæ mediocres, et validæ. Cauda mediocris, et occlusa, paululum furcata. Pedes perparvi. Tarsi admodum breves, et plumis induti. Hallux brevissimus. ... Types, Trochilus helianthea and Bonapartii. Remark.— Plumage of the males rich and beautiful in the extreme." (Gould 1848); "Helianthea Gould, Proc. Zool. Soc. London, pt. 16, 1848, p. 11. Type, by tautonymy, Ornismya helianthea Lesson." (Peters 1945, V, 98).

Here OD. No idea why all authorities use the year 1839 as date of publication. Of course it is possible and I assume a more competent person than me have analysed this nomenclature question. Is there a publication about the correct date? Might effect a couple of other names as well.

Unless I'm wrong, it is generally assumed that the issues for a given month of Rev. Zool. did not appear before the next month, because these issues quite systematically included information about scientific meetings that had taken place during the whole month.

Here, on p. 311 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/2328492, there is a report on a meeting of the Académie des Science that was held on 31 Dec 1838 :
Séance du 31 janvier. —
This is a typo, "31 décembre" was intended, see below.
M. Edwards lit un rapport sur un mémoire de M.Mandl relatif aux observations qu'il a faites sur les globules du sang des animaux.
Compare to C.-R. Hebd. Séan. Acad. Sci. Paris, for the séance of 31 Dec 1838: https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/25223639
Après quelques observations de M. Magendie, les conclusions favorables du rapport sont adoptées.
Compare to C.-R. Hebd. Séan. Acad. Sci. Paris, for the séance of 31 Dec 1838: https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/25223645
M. Lartet annonce l'envoi qu'il a fait au Muséum de divers ossemens fossiles récemment découverts à Sansan et à Simore. Cette lettre est renvoyée à MM. de Blainville et Flourens.
Compare to C.-R. Hebd. Séan. Acad. Sci. Paris, for the séance of 31 Dec 1838: https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/25223660

With this information appearing in the same issue as (above, actually) Lesson's description, it seems safe to say that this description cannot have been published in 1838.

Even if I fail to see the Etymology angle/concern of this thread ... ;)

Zoonomen has the following:

Rev.Zool.

Revue Zoologique, par la Societé Cuvierienne...Journal mensuel publié sous la direction de M. F. E. Guérin-Ménéville.

Vols. I-XI (compl.) 1838-1848
Paris

This run constitutes series 1. for Rev.Mag.Zool.

The issue of dates of the Rev.Zool. is problematic. Richmond has many notes on this problem in his unpublished notes on Dates of Publication. Perhaps most salient is his note saying:

Revue Zoologique. Important!
The nos. of the Rev.Zool. prob. never came out during the
month mentioned on the 1st. page of no.

For instance the no. for Jan. contains minutes
of various societies up to the end of Jan.
+ could hardly have been issued before Feb., etc. etc.
This is the case throughout the XI volumes.
The dates given on my cards are the "ostensible" dates,
(i.e. those mentioned on the number).

On 2005.02.07, my wife and I examined the December numbers of Rev.Zool. and Rev.Mag.Zool. with an eye toward determining what data made CWR make the statements he did. The summary of our findings in those numbers are below:

Vol.1 (Année 1838), for Jan. 1838, contains an introduction
by Guéin-Méneville. dated 31 Jan. 1838 (a Wednsday).
This issue reports on a Académie Royale des Sciences de Paris (ARSP)
meeting of 29 Jan. 1838 (a Monday -- the usual day of
the meetings). Thus it appears unlikely that the issue was published
before Feb. at the earliest.

For Feb., the reported (ARSP) meetings start on 5 Feb. and the final meeting reported is 19 Feb.

Note that a meeting on 31 December is virtually certain to have not been published until January of the following year (at the earliest).

1838:
"December" number includes notes (starting on p.311) of Meetings of Dec. 3,10,17,31.
The last date is written "31 janvier" (presumably a typographic error for 31 December).
[Note also that the Dec. 24 meeting which would be expected in sequence
is not present. This suggests there were four meetings a month]

1839:
"December" number includes notes (starting on p.368) of Meetings of Dec. 2,9,16,30.[again the meeting of the 23rd is missing, further supporting a schedule of four meetings a month].

1840:
"December" number ...

[... and onwards.]
Or here; left column, scroll to the bottom of it, see Citational (Source) Index , [R] ... Rev.Zool.

/B
--

Last edited:
Calalp;3905375[I said:
Zoonomen has the following:
Thanks, Björn. I guess this may be where I first read about it, indeed -- although I had not checked it back in relation to the present case.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back