• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sula lefevri (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Just a guess if the key entry...

lefevri

Auguste Lefèvre (fl. 1858) French oologist, taxidermist (syn. Morus bassanus).

...might be Auguste Lefèvre (1828-1907)? The name was given by August Carl Eduard Baldamus as Sula lefevri .

How did I come to a link with him? First sentence of the article here:

Ayant remarqué dès mon début dans l'étude de l'ornithologie (il a 23 ans) une faculté propre aux fous (sula) et autres oiseaux voisins, qui leur permet d'introduire un volume très-considérable d'air dans un appareil souscutané qui leur et particulier...

So it looked like the author was 23 years old in 1851 when the article was written (means he was born 1828).

If he was oologist, taxidermist I have no clue. I would read his job as vice-amiral and politician (in the french Wiki article).

Take it for what's worth (as of course my conclusions might be wrong).

Note: And not be confused with Amédée Lefèvre (1798-1869) whose wife was honored in Doricha eliza.

It is actually:
[...] mon début dans l'étude de l'ornithologie (il y a 23 ans) [...]
...which means he started studying ornithology 23 year before he wrote the paper. If so, he was certainly born a fair number of years before 1828.

How can I delete this thread? Whom to inform? Better to have all this in one post. Sorry about the confusion.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back