• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latvia and Lithuania mid October (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I'm flying to Vilnius on 17th Oct, then taking a tourist bus to Riga on 20th Oct, not yet decided when I'll fly home.

Birding will probably be secondary but I see from ebird that Pygmy Owl and Middle-spotted Woodpecker have both been seen recently in Belmontas at Vilnius, so I'll probably go and look for them. Otherwise, I guess it's probably not the best time of year, but some migration may still be going on. If anyone would like to meet up in either country for some birding then please get in touch. It might be interesting to head out to the coast from Riga. Also, any birding suggestions for either country would be welcome.

Pygmy Owl would require considerable luck in Belmontas, and in general Belmontas is quite a touristy place, where city folk go for a wander or to eat at the extensive restaurants, and not particularly remarkable for birds. Middle Spotted Woodpecker can be seen, though I would say the woodland around Verkių rūmai in the north of the city is better than Belmontas, can occasionally also see Black Woodpecker, etc, here too. Can easily get to Verkiu rumai by city bus.

Still a lot of migration happening in middle of October, especially on the coast when it can be absolutely amazing for passerine movements, especially at sites such as Ventes Ragas, etc.

Get back to me a few days before your trip and I can update you a little on what's around.

Pygmy Owl would require considerable luck in Belmontas, and in general Belmontas is quite a touristy place, where city folk go for a wander or to eat at the extensive restaurants, and not particularly remarkable for birds. Middle Spotted Woodpecker can be seen, though I would say the woodland around Verkių rūmai in the north of the city is better than Belmontas, can occasionally also see Black Woodpecker, etc, here too. Can easily get to Verkiu rumai by city bus.

Still a lot of migration happening in middle of October, especially on the coast when it can be absolutely amazing for passerine movements, especially at sites such as Ventes Ragas, etc.

Get back to me a few days before your trip and I can update you a little on what's around.

Thanks Jos. I think I'll hire a bicycle in Vilnius and then I can easily explore all that forested area to the north-east. Ventes Ragas is a bit out of my way, but the Latvian coast is more doable. Anyway I'll be in touch nearer the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back