• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpipers Barbados (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
A few more from a couple of days ago. I think the third one is White-rumped Sandpiper, could the others be least and semipalmated? (I can really feel its been a long time since I have seen shorebirds with any regularity).

Niels

Attachments

• q LeSa P1140268.jpg
    q LeSa P1140268.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Q sesa P1140117.jpg
    Q sesa P1140117.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Q WrSa P1140223.jpg
    Q WrSa P1140223.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 70
I am surprised by #1 because these dark birds looked no bigger than the Semip Sands and were seen at a very similar distance.

thanks
Niels

I am surprised by #1 because these dark birds looked no bigger than the Semip Sands and were seen at a very similar distance.

thanks
Niels

On my phone when I zoom in I can see the reddish brown cap. Also the bill shape is gradually but evidently curved and it’s relatively stout. The breast streaking is dense forming a full bib that has a strong demarcation with the belly. It’s definitely a pectoral sandpiper. I would imagine the size impression was a trick of the field, they should be pretty noticeably larger than semipalmated. They have tricked me before too occasionally.

thanks
Niels

You're thinking it could be a Least Sandpiper, right? As Tom, I think it's a Pectoral though I admitt photos of both species in flight look somewhat similar. Yet, Pectoral shows white tips to the inner secondaries (as your bird) and also the bill seems too long...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back