• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Well this really ticks me off no end. (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
http://dailyjournalonline.com/articles/2007/09/05/news/doc46dec4307a0fd384487844.txt

Section 21.43, Title 50 Code of Federal Regulations
states that:

"A Federal Permit shall not be required to control
Red-winged, Rusty, and Brewer's Blackbirds, cowbirds,
all grackles, crows, and magpies when found committing
or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or
shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or
wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and
manner as to constitute a health hazard or other
nuisance."

Makes for grim reading KC

And unfortunately, I doubt any kind of petition or similar would make any kind of difference?

Matt

The ironic part of all of this is I wonder how much is grown for bird food. Makes me want to stop buying any sunflower seeds but I'm just a drop in the bucket.

That seems to be the take on the guys I have spoken with.

As one of the wise ones I spoke with today his thoughts were "history often repeats itself"

Look at the Carolina Parakeet. Killed off for much the same reason. A bother to crops.

I hope it fails miserably. Other crop growers face the same problem, but they haven't resorted to poisoning yet. It a shame they haven't left enough land for the birds to forage elsewhere, or do they. Why not seed the adjacent wild lands with appropriate alternative food source, and pursuade the blackbird to forage there by using trained falcons.

It will be a sad day when that happens here in northern california. We are having stellar blackbird flocks this year at the wetlands.

Hi KC

Well I never. I cannot open the link at the moment?

To think that certain birds are considered a pest, and with no protection now at all goes without saying.

That will open the door to people killing birds, which they consider annoying to them. Is the written area of the document to do with Oriental trees to do with peoples gardens?

Are your laws similar to the ones here in any way with the issue of BoP's etc.....

Regards
Kathy

The ironic part of all of this is I wonder how much is grown for bird food. Makes me want to stop buying any sunflower seeds but I'm just a drop in the bucket.

Seriously - how insane would that be? And I am sure it is true. That is really sad KC.:-C

Last edited:
For those in the UK.
Try searching google for Defra General List, Nuisance Birds.

It seems that any birds can be deemed a nuisance and in many instances removed, altho birds on the Red List may be a bit more difficult to get permission to remove.

On the Defra General list are many game birds and Ducks along with Corvids and Gulls ( Jay now removed ). For birds on the General list, you don't need permission or a licence, just to satisfy yourself that shooting is required.
Other birds like Bullfinch should be cage trapped. Don't know what happens after that!.

So it seems the UK is little different from the USA!, except in the legal availability of firearms!

Hi Alan

DEFRA listing of UK birds

The Secretary of State for the Environment issues an official decree every two years which amounts to an exemption from the usual prohibitions placed on the killing of specific species of wild birds with Section 1 shotguns. The following thirteen species are at the moment included in this exemption:

Canada Goose
Crow
Collared Dove
Great Black-backed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Jackdaw
Jay
Magpie
Feral Pigeon
Rook

I never knew this at all. :C

I know in Aberdeen you cannot touch 'Gulls' during the breeding season. These gulls are living in the city on whatever they can use to nest on. Not their natural environment. Would this apply in the USA?

The birds that are listed in the USA - do they live in their natural environment? Otherwise birds have a right to live out their lives as they should do?

This does not add up at all!! :C

This is one of the British ideas to dispose of undesirable birds.

Falconry Pest Control Contracts by the day, week, and month or on an annual basis.
Live Predatory Response utilises the target pest bird species' natural predators to give chase and deter birds from causing a public nuisance by feeding, roosting and perching where they are not welcome.

This is the most natural form of avian pest control available. The results are immediate and impressive. The service requires a prolonged investment, we suggest a minimum of 5 consecutive days initially. Subject to site survey.

Prices start from £375.00 + VAT per day. An ideal solution for large open spaces such as stadiums, car parks, train sheds, shopping malls ports and landfill sites.

Call us on 0845 602 0806 for more details or to discuss your site’s specific needs.

More sensible, and a natural way to control unwanted birds. Natural preditors!

I think that the encouraging BoP's into the right environment would be the best way forward. Non-captive birds preferred.

I have also seen 'dummy' BoP'S being used in Scotland to stop Gulls from nesting on top of Lighthouses. Good idea too.

More sensible, logical things come to mind here without the aid of a gun. :-C

Regards
Kathy

i read that article in the NY times about a month or two back. its really sad and makes me never want to eat anything sunflower again. arent rusty blackbirds threatened species???

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back