• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (1 Viewer)

Your last entry jasper...is surely a sign that Spring is well and truly established. :t:
At least by Canadian standards Ken, snow again today, but this is (likely!) the last of it!

20. Ring-billed Gull.

Off to England early next week, so I'll miss some more of our arrivals, but mostly those that will still be here when we get back. Looking forward to some British birds though, always a joy.

Wow, I'm surprised you don't get Swallows before us - and March 30th is traditionally the first date here! Still waiting for one yet!

Edit: BINGO!! Swallow just flew north !!

There’s a healthy respect for tradition H!
Got excited an hour ago when a distant hirundine dipped behind some trees but when it showed itself it was another Crag Martin:C
Because of being at 1000m altitude we have to wait for our Swallows but as you suspected they’ve been around for a couple of weeks lower down, in researching their arrivals on the LPO Haute-Savoie website I found that the one I saw by the Rhône on the 8th was the first of the year for the département - wonder if I’ll get a prize......
A Brimstone just went through, like Amy we have snow forecast in a few days so that will put the brakes on I expect.

Unlike your strong silent type Rob, I heard but didn't see my first one this afternoon...[/B]

I have a similar experience from:

#26. European Robin - only heard it singing one morning

#27. Common Pheasant - female. Well - it sure took a long time this year before I saw this. Edit: I just went to put more woods to sauna stove, and scared Pheasant cock off. Edit 2: From garden - not sauna (the cocks in there are whole different story...)
#28. Skylark - Full song and fully seen. :king:

Last edited:
Big movement of thrushes today, many Redwings and Fieldfares in particular, but also Blackbirds, Song Thrushes and Mistle Thrushes. Also first Green Sandpipers return to the breeding grounds, a couple of Teal too.

63. Teal
64. Green Sandpiper
65. Song Thrush
66. Redwing

Very good butterfly day yesterday, not on my land, but over 200 individuals, including 23 Camberwell Beauties - all outstanding for March.

Wow, I'm surprised you don't get Swallows before us - and March 30th is traditionally the first date here! Still waiting for one yet!

Edit: BINGO!! Swallow just flew north !!

Jammy bugger H!...always wanted a March Swallow.:t:

Cracking flock of 14 Great White Egrets today, even better for where they were going. Plus a few new for the year:

67. Snipe
68. Sparrowhawk
69. Reed Bunting

20. Hoopoe .
Seen few minutes ago on my patio . I have seen one and sometimes two hoopoe quite often other years between end march and mid july but not last year. Though know someone in the village had a couple in their garden several times.

20. Hoopoe .
Seen few minutes ago on my patio . I have seen one and sometimes two hoopoe quite often other years between end march and mid july but not last year. Though know someone in the village had a couple in their garden several times.

Nice one Brenda, one to make us all jealous! I glimpsed one in flight near Geneva on Sunday but I don't think they'll be breeding at our altitude any time soon -it's snowing at the moment:eek!:

20. Hoopoe .

Yes, a great garden bird!

Just realised that I've missed:

63: Redpoll

Nice early spring continuing...

70. Black Stork, one flying over
71. Marsh Harrier, first individual back on territory
72. Blackcap, very early individual, female

Nice early spring continuing...

70. Black Stork, one flying over
71. Marsh Harrier, first individual back on territory
72. Blackcap, very early individual, female

Spring you said? Huh, we've gone back to winter again, I measured the depth at 45cms around the house feeder this morning:eek!:

Attachments

• 4.4.19.jpg
    4.4.19.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 14
Finally a reason for me to post here, after over three weeks without an addition!

46. Chipping Sparrow

I saw one that briefly sang when I went outside for about 15 minutes.

It feels like I'm a bit behind in my quest for 100 (or even 90?!) yard birds this year.

How many do you average per year, Jos?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back