• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avocets. Essex, UK. (1 Viewer)

Curlew2

Having taken photographs of these two individual Avocets recently at Heybridge Gravel Pits, Essex UK I thought it would be helpful to inform the organisation that ringed them and interesting to find out their history. Having tried Googling how to do this I am completely baffled and surprised at how complicated it appears to be. Is it just me? European Colour-Ring Birding completely confused me. Are there no online data bases which can be consulted? Can anyone offer any info on these two birds and/or advise how to contact the ringing group?
As always all help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 011219 Heybridge GP.JPG
    011219 Heybridge GP.JPG
    399.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 012119 Heybridge Basin (3).JPG
    012119 Heybridge Basin (3).JPG
    624.8 KB · Views: 86
Having taken photographs of these two individual Avocets recently at Heybridge Gravel Pits, Essex UK I thought it would be helpful to inform the organisation that ringed them and interesting to find out their history. Having tried Googling how to do this I am completely baffled and surprised at how complicated it appears to be. Is it just me? European Colour-Ring Birding completely confused me. Are there no online data bases which can be consulted? Can anyone offer any info on these two birds and/or advise how to contact the ringing group?
As always all help greatly appreciated.

Avocets can be tricky to track down as there are so many schemes and not all are active- so you are not guaranteed a reply from the ringer. I find this route on European Colour Ring Birding works for Avocet if you are minded to persist!

Attachments

• screenshot_459.jpg
    screenshot_459.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 63
Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Ed, I tried that approach and couldn't find a group that matched either by using the drop down menus or searching manually.

Mike, although I was using that site I didn't see the Submit page with the helpdesk email address. Thanks for that. I have emailed them for advice and will report back.

No problem - I can't help more because I am a ringer and use the BTO ringing data submission scheme, not cr-birding. However, I think cr-birding is run by volunteers so don't be surprised if responses are slow.

Mike.

Thanks for your suggestion Will. The cr-birding help desk replied and also suggested the same group. I have contacted them by email and will report back.

Well, it took a while but it seems both birds were ringed at Beltringharder Koog on the north-west German coast in June 2017. Apart from one being reported there again in July 2018 no other sightings were reported before their appearance in Essex. My thanks again to the above for their help and suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back