• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice with Sony Alpha A7S (1 Viewer)

No experience with the Sony. However, what do you hope to achieve with this switch? I noticed this is a camera that came out in 2015, so not exactly the latest and greatest.

Niels

I hope to achieve fast shot and good zoom. Its not the latest, you are right, but I know previous models sometimes better than new ones :)

I hope to achieve fast shot and good zoom

What does that mean to You?

Fast shot = short delay?
Fast shot = High burst rate?
Fast shot = Short exposure times?
Fast shot = Fast AF?

"Good zoom" is a matter of the lens, not the body.

Due to the very low resolution plus larger sensor you will get the birds just 1/3 the size compared to your Pen 5, as long as You use the same focal length.

If size, prize and weight is not a problem, then go choosing a low res 24x36 body as the A7S is and attach a 600 or 800mm lens to get a slow and medium quality setup. The A7S II just offers contrast AF, not a single phase AF point at all.

Otherwise you should choose an APS-C body w/ 150-600 (Canon 90D: 10fps, 32 MP, 4k Video) or take a look at the excellent Olympus 4/300 plus a fast body.

Cheers)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back