• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Report images in the Gallery with the wrong scientific name (3 Viewers)

Hi again!!! :hi:

I think there is an error of some kind here.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=316189

Anyway, the species starts in capital letters and it doesn't link to Opus.

Once that is solved, I think Heterophasia desgodinsi is Black-headed Sibia, not dark-backed. And possibly is new to Opus, but I'm not sure how is the real status, as many consider it a subespecies of H. melanoleuca (the real Dark-backed Sibia).

I leave to the experts to solve this new little problem! ;) :t:

Sorry to be a pain in the neck lately, but I feel I must talk about these corrections.

Cheers everybody! B :)

Last edited:
Hi Marian

I've corrected the capitalisation issue, but haven't a clue as to whether the picture is of a Black-backed or Black-headed Sibia - hopefully someone else can advise. Though reading the articles, Black-backed doesn't appear to be found in Thailand. The taxonomy appears to be very complicated.:eek!:

And please don't apologise for flagging these up - it's a great help.:t:

D

Wow, that was quick, Delia!!! :eek!: ... :t:

I've not done a proper research but I'll do it too, just in case I can see things clearer... I'll let you know here if I find out something! I want to help! o:)

Bye for now

Hi again!!! :hi:

I think there is an error of some kind here.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=316189

Anyway, the species starts in capital letters and it doesn't link to Opus.

Once that is solved, I think Heterophasia desgodinsi is Black-headed Sibia, not dark-backed. And possibly is new to Opus, but I'm not sure how is the real status, as many consider it a subespecies of H. melanoleuca (the real Dark-backed Sibia).

I leave to the experts to solve this new little problem! ;) :t:

Sorry to be a pain in the neck lately, but I feel I must talk about these corrections.

Cheers everybody! B :)

This is a very complex matter. Both common names are used for both species which were recently split. In the Opus we then go with a consensus of the big lists which is in this case decided by the IOC World Bird Names list (see here). So desgodinsi is Black-headed, melanoleuca Black- (or Dark-) backed. The main problem is, that there is no agreement abouth where to split the species exactly. Some subspecies either belong to desgodinsi or to melanoleuca.
The photo is taken in Thailand, so after the Handbook of the Birds of the World it shows melanoleuca. However, after Clements it could also be desgodinsi.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

André

Thank you for all this explanation, André!!! :t:

Certainly I have no enough information sources with me to clarify the status of this species, I was totally lost with this one!!!

This bird is not a White-throated Laughingthrush Garrulax albogularis but a Greater Necklaced Laughingthrush Garrulax pectoralis. Thanks to Alok Tewari for pointing out.

Thanks for confirming that André.... I knew you'd know;)

I've edited the photo.

D

And another one: This is not a Black Drongo. Despite no answers yet to my ID-thread I'm sure in the meantime that it is a White-bellied Drongo Dicrurus caerulescens of the local ssp leucopygialis.

André

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back