• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed selecting a digital camera (1 Viewer)

hillsman

Hi All,
I am a newbie to digital photography although I did a some 35mm SLR many years ago. I am a wheelchair user and due to a severe back injury have little in the way of upper body strength but am looking to get into digital photography including some bird and other wildlife photography. I would like any advice on which type of camera would be best given my limitations, including having a significant zoom length without having to support heavy lenses.
Thanks for your help.
David

David nice to hear your giving a very rewarding hobby a go,there will be a few recommendations for cameras but i would suggest you start by looking at the Nikon P900.
There is a help group somewhere online for the uk just for people in your situation with advice about what is available but would you believe i have lost the link.
If you do a youtube search for Nikon P900 there are a lot of videos on there.

Hi Mike
Thank you very much for your reply. I will certainly look into your recommendation of the Nikon P900.
Regards
David

The cameras known as "superzooms" give you the most magnification per gram of any camera system. Sensors are small, so image quality suffers a bit in low light, but you can still get a lot of great shots with these. There are a number of threads on the forum discussing the merits of various models. I'd focus on Nikon, Canon (e.g. SX50), and Panasonic. These seem to be the superzoom brands most popular among birders.

Having previously owned the Canon SX50 (had to give it back to work when I retired) I've just acquired the Nikon P610 and am very pleased with it. Doesn't get as much exposure on BF as the Canon but it does have some advantages over the Canon. Most notably the EVF is MUCH better - which matters a lot. It's a lot lighter and generally smaller than the P900 which might be significant for you. I managed to pick up a mint used example of eBay for about £180 .....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back