• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 1.4X Extender (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I've been trying out a 1.4 X III Extender with my Canon 100-400mm (white) lens and EOS 700D body. I guess I already knew, but it's a bit disconcerting to find there's no autofocus. So I have to focus manually. I can't even get confirmation that the lens is focused through the usual red dots in the viewfinder. A couple of photos attached - the Reed Bunting is OK, the Pochard not so much.

Is it actually worth using the extender?

Attachments

• IMG_7870-2.JPG
    IMG_7870-2.JPG
    461.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_7876-2.JPG
    IMG_7876-2.JPG
    510.3 KB · Views: 126
Hi Arbu
If you have the first series of the zoom lens (EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM), throw it away, sell it, but don't waste your time with a converter.
If you have the second series (EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM) then you will need at least a 7D MkII body for autofocus with a lens that has a maximum aperture of f/8. You will need any Canon EOS DSLR that can autofocus at f/8. Good luck! :)

Cheers

Check out the Kenko tubes. I have them but haven't used them much(bought them second hand for £50 for a set, couldn't say no). They're about £130 for the set of 3 I believe but they work with Canon AF.

I used to have the Canon 100-400mm MKI and used the 1.4x Extender MkII and although you had to use it with the manual focus, I found it still very good.

you can use the tape trick to get auto focus this putting tape on a couple of the pins on the rear of the converter,i cant remember which ones but im sure I learnt it from this site

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back