• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

83x anyone? The new Nikon P900 (1 Viewer)

Update

I have been using the P900 since the spring and am very pleased with it. For me it is an identification tool, and to be honest, I have it set in Bird Watcher mode with single point focus, most of the time.

If the light is poor, I get poor shots, especially at distance, but it is usually good enough to get an ID on my birds later. Job done. And despite having no real photographic skills, the camera is good enough, in the right conditions, to produce photos that are pleasing to my eye, although obviously, they are not going to win any competitions.

As stated in this thread, the EVF is a little dark, although I find zooming in slightly towards the subject, then semi depressing the shoot button lightens it up, before zooming in to the required full distance. My biggest gripe is the slow action. When fully zoomed out, the lens can be slow to respond to a zoom in command.

But, as I said, I'm really happy with the camera as a means to most of my ends. A few of my favourite photos from the last few months attached (Wheatear looking at water droplets is my favourite). I lightened the Bunting and Kingfisher slightly, but all are unadulterated apart from that.

P.S - As you'll see from the Kingfisher shot, the camera does not like bright water in the background.

Attachments

• Wheatear.jpg
    Wheatear.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 457
  • Barred Warbler.jpg
    Barred Warbler.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 478
  • Corn Bunting.jpg
    Corn Bunting.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 348
  • Kingfisher.jpg
    Kingfisher.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 465
  • Stonechat.jpg
    Stonechat.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Just a quick through-the-window shot of a Black Redstart, sighted in my garden in West Yorkshire.

Attachments

• DSCN1593 (2).jpg
    DSCN1593 (2).jpg
    858.5 KB · Views: 259
B+W 67mm UV filter, which I intend to use when the lens is in danger of encountering sand or sea spray.

Just a question relative to "protective" lens - Would the B+W UV filter be the better choice than a B+W clear filter relative to picture clarity? I put the B+W SX-Pro with nano coating on my P900 which is the clear version for rain & dust protection. I've never had but a small point & shoot camera before, so I'm in a bit of a struggle trying to understand this camera - hoping my grandkids can help out a bit.|=)|

Just a question relative to "protective" lens - Would the B+W UV filter be the better choice than a B+W clear filter relative to picture clarity? I put the B+W SX-Pro with nano coating on my P900 which is the clear version for rain & dust protection. I've never had but a small point & shoot camera before, so I'm in a bit of a struggle trying to understand this camera - hoping my grandkids can help out a bit.|=)|

So long as it has a flare reduction coating either should be ok,i put a 67mm rubber lens hood on to help keep flare away, it just needs folding back for wild angle shots.

Thank you for your answer - I was a little concerned after reading some posts here, that I should probably obtain a UV filter for sharper/clearer still pictures.

The person taking tech questions at Schneider Optics recommended either the Clear or UV for my use and steered me toward the Premium XS-Pro Digital, as the cost difference from Amazon wasn't much different from the F-Pro. So far, I really like this camera and need to find a photo class, so I'm better able to understand just what you all are talking about and get away from the "Auto mode".|:d|

So far, I really like this camera and need to find a photo class, so I'm better able to understand just what you all are talking about and get away from the "Auto mode".|:d|

You might want to browse through YouTube videos. I do not have any specific recommendations but you may find some stuff of interest. As my old boss used to tell me, showing is better than telling! Also check out Nikon P600 and P610 videos as the cameras do share some similarities with the P900.

The best thing to do is experiment with the different features by using it and reviewing the results. That is one of the nice things about digital cameras, there is no meaningful cost in using it other than time.

It is worth while to print out the full manual and then experiment using the camera as you go through the features. I took the time to print it out with page breaks between chapters, and then put together a laminated front cover with a stiff back and had it spiral bound at the office supply store. Having it on paper makes for more convenient reading and allows me to write comments next to the various topics.

I've owned a P900 for almost a year now and regret nothing, coming up from using the Canon SX40 for five years. I've gotten shots I wouldn't have been able to with the SX40, largely thanks to the greater focal range, far more usable viewfinder, and better responsiveness overall.

I have it on Program mode 95% of the time, mostly to limit the maximum ISO the camera will choose, only really switching to Shutter Priority when necessary. I've tended to follow the common advice of limiting zoom range to ~1400-1600mm equivalent rather than going the full 2000, and it does seem to help in getting the best shots out of the camera. Overall I've been very pleased.

I've got an album of my favourite shots I've taken so far, the only editing I do most of the time is cropping (I think for one shot I made it slightly darker but apart from that). Anyway it's linked here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/benmarkham/albums/72157685573450185

I have owned my 900 since they first came out. If I have any complaint it is that I doubt I will ever be satisfied with any camera with less reach. Yes, I could probably get more feather detail from a 400m lens, but only if I could get close enough.
When I sit in my garden and focus on the robins or doldfinches at 400mm I can only see a small speck of a bird in the frame. Zoom in to my usual 800+ and the bird starts to fill the frame, but then if I spot a humming bird moth I can switch to video and zoom back to film from a few inches away, and after that I can switch to macro and get to within an inch or so and either video or take pics of a 250 million year old wood lice.

And it only cost me £500

Just checked the date and it is almost exactly 3 years since I bought mine April 24th 2015 :)

Den

Last edited:
Ben, those are some great photos. I found a person who teaches camera photography and he charges $45 per hour and advised he uses and likes the Nikon P900 but using the P900 is like going bird hunting with a single shot. I took that to mean "make the shot count" - or else the camera is so good you'll only need one opportunity at your subject?

I figure for 50 bucks he probably could get me started in the right direction and maybe after a couple months, I could go back, if I experience small problems that I can't figure out myself or via U-Tube.

I've played around with it some, but anytime I go off "Auto" I end up with photos ranging from pure black, a dull color, over exposed or blurred due to subject's motion, so I surely don't know, what I don't know.

Just got through with an hour of 1 on 1 and I learned quite a bit relative to picture taking. The instructor advised he uses the Auto mode at least 80% of the time with this camera.

Just got through with an hour of 1 on 1 and I learned quite a bit relative to picture taking. The instructor advised he uses the Auto mode at least 80% of the time with this camera.

The Auto mode is good, however Program mode is essentially a customisable Auto mode. You can change settings such as sharpness and set limits on maximum ISO.

I tried the program mode and so far haven't found any difference between that and auto mode relative to picture clarity but I'm still in the infancy stage of learning about photography.

All I can say, as a newbie to bridge cameras, is this camera is magical. I've taken pictures of wildlife, golfers, trap shooters and just off-beat points of interest and when I either supported this P900 or used a tripod, the picture clarity when zoomed up within the camera is impressive to say the least.

Took a picture of a lady golfer at about 120 yards and the picture when zoomed shows her finger placement on the grip and the color of her fingernail polish - when zoomed up and over to her face profile, you can see her earring about as well as if you were standing 2 feet away.

My wife is real suspicious of this camera.|;| I can't imagine what a big camera body with those huge lens can do relative to taking extremely high quality pictures at long range providing there's no mirage.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good tripod for this camera? I have an old tripod that is a real pain to use for taking pictures of objects close in on the ground or up in the trees, as I have to adjust the legs etc. Previously I used this tripod as a stand for my chronograph.

There is another useful aspect of the 900, I link mine to my Ipad, set the camera up about 6 feet from target and retire indoors to watch the Ipad screen, no fear of spooking the bird :) take the shot via the Ipad button.

Also got a long range video of a guy and gal doing a professional nude portfolio............and no, I can't post it on here :) All you need is good light.

Den

I tried that from my “smart phone” within the House and it works great. My spouse has informed me in no uncertain terms that if I take any unauthorized photos I will meet a fate worse than death.

This P900 is one great camera.

Got in another hour of training and now know a little more relative to photography.

I now understand how to use the "program mode", whereas previously, I never had a solid understanding as to how the shutter speed/aperture/ISO danced together to produce the "best" picture.

I kinda understand now and after I'm able to put in some "quality time" taking pictures of different subjects under varying conditions and positions; I should be up to speed with some of you people on this forum.|;|

I ordered the Velbon Sherpa 200R Tripod, which I think will fill the bill for any tripod needs. I will be out several times a week with this Nikon P900 and no doubt, I'll find out just how many charges the original battery will take prior to giving up the ghost. Thanks for the insights and knowledge shared by you P900 owners - it is appreciated.

As stated in this thread, the EVF is a little dark, although I find zooming in slightly towards the subject, then semi depressing the shoot button lightens it up, before zooming in to the required full distance.

The EVF seemed to have got darker and a little blurred recently. I mentioned it to a friend who is into photography, and he asked if I had adjusted the little wheel next to the EVF.

"What wheel", I asked. "Oh that wheel", I said. "My word, that's better", I exclaimed.

Never knew the adjustment wheel was even there. It makes a huge difference.

Anyway, a few more recent shots attached. Particularly pleased with the first one.

Attachments

• DSCN1949.jpg
    DSCN1949.jpg
    937.9 KB · Views: 383
  • Seafield Kestrel.jpg
    Seafield Kestrel.jpg
    859.4 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCN1627.jpg
    DSCN1627.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCN1532.jpg
    DSCN1532.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 308
  • DSCN1881.jpg
    DSCN1881.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 258
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back