• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF80 ED straight with SMC XW 8-24 - go or no go (1 Viewer)

mannukiddo

Hi all,

I have a chance to buy a new Pentax PF80 ED straight with the big XW 8-24 SMC zoom for about $800. My primary use will be birding near the shores, mangroves and open wetlands. I have read conflicting reports about the SMC zoom and I would like to hear from owners of the above combination, whether or not this a good buy.

The scope will be used in India where spotting scopes of this quality are impossible to buy and return if found unsuitable. So I do not have too many chances to try out and have to be sure of my decision the first time.

I am planning to keep this scope for a very long time and will be the first and only scope I will own. Weight is not a problem, I already own a Feisol carbon fiber tripod I am also not looking to digiscope in the near future.
All that I am looking for is a relaxed view of distant birds.

Thanks in advance.

The SMC zoom is still a nice durable eyepiece; I have one too. The only reason why we suggest fixed power is because we are fanatics and want every last ounce of performance from our scopes.

I let my father in law look through my PF100 with SMC zoom and his reaction was "Wow!". I then let him look through the scope with the XW20 and his reaction was "Double Wow!".

The SMC zoom is still a nice durable eyepiece; I have one too. The only reason why we suggest fixed power is because we are fanatics and want every last ounce of performance from our scopes.

I let my father in law look through my PF100 with SMC zoom and his reaction was "Wow!". I then let him look through the scope with the XW20 and his reaction was "Double Wow!".
Hi,

Thanks for your input. So I guess the SMC zoom should be good enough for general viewing. I will definitely go for the fixed XW20 or the XW14 in the near future as I am a firm believer of the superiority of primes over zooms even in photography.

Now the only thing bothering me is whether there is anything better than the SMC zoom and the PF80 combo for about $800 which will cause me buyers remorse later. Any inputs with regards to this?

Thanks.

The PF80 has a mechanical aperture stop down issue. The moving prism focusing mechanism causes the prism to increasingly intrude into the light path as you focus from infinity to close focus. My sample showed clear aperture of ~77mm at infinity and only ~65mm at close focus. The Nikon and Kowa scopes do not have this problem.

cheers,
Rick

Now the only thing bothering me is whether there is anything better than the SMC zoom and the PF80 combo for about $800 which will cause me buyers remorse later. Any inputs with regards to this?

Hard to imagine. The only real drawback to the big Pentax is size, and to a smaller degree, weight. You've already indicated that you're not too concerned about it. I'm convinced through personal experience that a PF80ED with either the XW20 or 14 you've mentioned offer about as good a view as can be had.

The Nikon Fieldscope 82ED should also be considered IMO if you can find a deal on it. Also great optics with an excellent selection of very high quality eyepieces. I don't like Nikon's helical focus as much as Pentax' small wheel focuser but in the plus column I like the way Nikon's EPs thread on as they seal out water very positively. I've never had as much confidence in Pentax' collet.

Outside of these two in the 80mm class you'll have to increase your expenditure dramatically to equal or (maybe) better the performance, especially with fixed focal length EPs. The Kowas, Swaros, Leicas have superior zooms however.

At $800. you just can't go wrong and I'm sure you'll be thrilled with it.

Cheers,
Kevin

Added: Rick has brought up the aperture stop issue of the Pentax before and it seemingly means something to him. It does not mean much of anything to me. The scopes perform great and I can live with being cheated of a wee bit of light at close range. The stop down issue plays second fiddle to the helical focus of the Fieldscope 82ED, for me. If money were no object I'd recommend, and personally buy, the Kowa 883. But, that's a different discussion.

Last edited:
Mannukiddo, Is this $800 deal from B&H ? I've been eyeing it too, waiting for someone who is visting NY from here to get it for me.

The aperture stop down issue doesn't seem to a deal breaker, at least to me and I don't think viewing will be hampered in any way due to this. The awesome capability of this scope to take literally hundreds of compatible EPs will surely result in savings towards a new scope body every few years. Also as Kevin pointed out that for less than $800, a brand new PF-80ED along with the SMC zoom, you just cant go wrong.

So thanks Kevin and every one else who replied in helping me make my decision.

Regards,

Mayur

Kevin I liked my PF80ED even though it was an effectively a 70mm optic. I mention it only because it can make difference for digiscoping.

BTW, that B&H deal is pretty sweet! Besides the 8-24mm zoom "hand-grenade" it also comes with a $150 gift card! Get a roll of Mcnett camo tape to wrap the scope in too.

cheers,
Rick

You wont go wrong with the PF 80.
Great scope for the money .Especially if you get the 10 or 14 XW later.
I think its equal to scopes costing twice as much.
Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back