• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swing-out or Push on (1 Viewer)

adamgoodbird

Hammerchewer
Hi, this has probably been covered before but what is the best type of adaptor for digiscoping?
As far I can tell the swing out means you can still use the scope as normal but is awkward to carry around, whereas the push on type means you cannot use the scope but is easier to carry around.
Is it any harder to take off the swing out to move around than taking the push on type off to use the scope?
Is it all a matter of personal preferance? Are there any other factors to take into account?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Depends on the adapter. I use the brilliantly designed, lightweight Kowa DA4 swing out and have no issues carrying the scope with it attached or detached. Only fits Kowa scopes though.

Rick

Like Rick says, it depends on the adapter. I have a Swaro adapter, the DCA, which slides on over the eyepeice. You don't need to keep the adapter+camera on the scope & its very quick to take off & replace. So you can use the scope to view the birds then replace the camera+adapter quickly so your ready to shoot.

ATB, Neil.

Hi, thanks for the input. I have recently bought an Opticron ES80ED + HDF zoom and am in the process of deciding on a new camera and adapter to go with it, and am veering towards a swing out type. At present I am using a Fuji F11 and home made adaptor which fits inside the pop up eyepiece ring.

Kowa DA10

The Kowa 880 series scopes also have a very easy to use DA10 adaptor. This screws onto the eyepiece replacing the eyecup and has a sleeve into which a digital camera connected to an insert ring via an adaptor similar to a step up ring can be placed and fixed. Fitting the camera securely takes less than 5 seconds. I put on and take off my camera at will. The adaptor is neat and well machined but expensive. £110 DA10 + £59 adaptor ring.
Cheers
RMWD

Sorry for trying to resurrect a one-year-old thread, but I was just wondering what you eventually went for, Adam.

Dilemna-wise I'm in the same position, though with an Opticron IS60 ED plus HDF zoom (and Lumix FS10). At the moment I'm swinging (sorry!) towards SRB Griturn's swing-out adapter, but I'm a bit concerned how portable and sturdy it'll end up being. Can I just hoist the tripod plus scope / camera / adapter setup over my shoulder without worrying about everything becoming unstable?

The alternative is the lens mount and dcc adapter, but I'm assuming in this case switching from eyepiece to camera may be a bit fiddly and time-consuming.

I'd be interested to hear what you went for and whether you're happy with it.

Cheers,

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back