• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

digiscoping platform (1 Viewer)

chrisrwillis

Hi Guys.,

I hope have got the corect forum after an hour of struggling.

Please can anyone help..

I have coupled my Opticron Hdf zoom to my Nion D50 but I need and strong platform to hold both my straight scope and my D50.

The strain on my scope eye lens must be great hence the need for support.

(without costing a fortune)

any suggestions would be gratefully acknowledged. regs to all

Chris

Understand your problem. I just got a Hawke Nature Trek 80mm scope to use with my Sony 33 camera. The scope is too heavy for my Tek Trek ball head which I use on a good Manfrotto 'pod. Only option I have is to buy a strong Manfrotto ball head now :( .

Hard to get great results on the cheap without your own fabrication facilities.

The old adages are "buy the best you can afford" and "you buy cheap, you buy twice"

For what its worth guys - I had a Manfrotto ball head and with a 80HD & DSLR attached it was very difficult to control - & even with a P&S it was still inclined to go where it chose once you released the grip. Fine adjustment was beyond me. I bought the Manfrotto 701HDV fluid head instead and it is really useful. With hindsight I should have gone for the 501 but I am very happy with the one I have.

I bought the Manfrotto Joystick grip on Saturday and tried it out on Attenborough yesterday. Doddle to use. Squeeze, point, let go, locked! We'll see how it works out longer time. Managed to find a GC Grebe nest with egg & parents and got a photo from 20 metres so not a bad start. Now got to get the hang of juggling exposure with zoom and focus on a (slowly) moving target!

I bought the Manfrotto Joystick grip on Saturday and tried it out on Attenborough yesterday. Doddle to use. Squeeze, point, let go, locked! We'll see how it works out longer time. Managed to find a GC Grebe nest with egg & parents and got a photo from 20 metres so not a bad start. Now got to get the hang of juggling exposure with zoom and focus on a (slowly) moving target!

Good luck ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back