• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need to pick your brains (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
After looking at the rules for a photo contest in a birding magazine there was one rule that kind of took me back a bit. It wants all photos submitted in an 8x10 format but at the end of the rules it states "no computer print outs will be accepted." Does that knock out digital photos that we print out ourselves? It also clearly states that there are to be no phone calls or emails concerning the contest rules as the rules are fairly straight forward. So what do you think? Thanks

I'd take it to mean they don't want poor quality inkjet prints as submissions. If they haven't specifically excluded digital photos in the rules, then provided you're submitting a decent quality print in the correct format then I can't see them refusing it's entry. I'd be inclined to use a decent online service to make a print of your entry and submit that. Nothing ventured nothing gained ;)

Try submitting photos taken in high quality large size format then printing them off at a dealers like Ian says to obtain top quality images.

If that don't get accepted then they are shooting themselves in the foot big time like you say. Maybe they do not trust the sumitting party's claim to the picture thinking they swiped them off the internet?

I know that police forces and insurance companies here in Canada are now debating this type of issue. The fear of course that digital photos could be questioned in a court of law. I guess magazines and the like who hold photo contests are joining the band wagon to eliminate any question and avoid liability issues.

You know, I never ever gave that a thought about manipulating a photo but I guess it sure as heck could be and has been done. I think I will still submit an entry if I should take one I think worthy and see what comes of it. Having it printed elsewhere is an excellent idea. Thank you.

I once saw a photo of a Fulmar in flight against a stormy backdrop with the sea and a Lighthouse in the background. I thought it was great and was surprised to learn the bird was superimposed on to the lighthouse scene. I think this was a example in a magazine to show what you can do with photoshop or summat like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back