• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rookie with good shots needs help (1 Viewer)

FeistyRdHd

Virginia is for Bird Lovers
Fellow birders,

I have many shots that I would be SO excited to share; however, they are 638kb and 2304x1728 pixels. I have not been able to figure out how to make my pictures fit the perameters allowed for uploading to this site without making them so small no one could see them.

This really bums me out:( If anyone would spare the time to instruct me in this matter, I certainly would be VERY GRATEFUL!

::crossing my fingers::

Lydia

Last edited by a moderator:
The exact keystrokes will vary somewhat depending on what software you're using, but in Photoshop Elements the sequence would be:
1. Open the original file.
2. Do any cropping, cloning, levels adjustments, etc that need to be done.
3. Image-resize-Image size and set the resolution to 72dpi and the longest pixel dimension of the file to meet BF's requirements. For example, for a 2304WX1728H pic, resize to 800 pixels wide. If the file were portrait layout of 1728WX2304H, then change the vertical dimension to not more than 800 (maybe even down to 700 so it can be viewed without having to scroll). The other dimension will change proportionately if the "constrain proportions" block is checked. A 2304X1728 pixel file will resize to 800X598, or thereabouts.
4. Usually, after resizing it is beneficial to either Filter-Sharpen-Sharpen or Filter-Sharpen-Unsharp Mask.
5. Then, select File-Save for the Web and pick a jpeq quality or jpeg compression value that will bring the file size down below the 200KB max file size. When you save the file, remember to save under a NEW filename, so you don't overwrite your original file.
If you started with file IMG000100.jpg at 600KB and 2304X1728, you should end up with IMG000100_BF.jpg, 800X598 in dimension (via Image resizing), of filesize <200KB(via Save for the Web).

Hope that helps.

What software do you have, Lydia? You need something like:

Thumbs Plus
IrfanView
PMView
AC-DC
Photoshop
Photostudio
(Lots of others more-or-less similar)

You more than likely already have one or more of those, and once we know what software you are using, the rest is easy.

Welcome to Birdforum, by the way.

Tony

There is another way.

Do whatever tweaking you need in whatever Photo software you have - resize so yr largest border is 800 x ?????,

Save file on yr computer - giving you say a 400kb picture.

Right click on the thumbnail

Click on Edit (opens in paint)

Click save

Close file.

Close folder

Open folder - picture will now be 30 - 100kb :cool:

Example below started out as an 800kb 1430 x 1430 JPEG from a NEF 2 4.7mb pic

After reducing to 800 x 800 & 800kb & all the rest is now 35.8kb

Attachments

• BF-DSC_6697.JPG
    BF-DSC_6697.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 231
Even if you have no imaging software you can resize in Microsoft paint which should be under "accessories in your "start" menu - go to "start" then "programs" then click on "paint" - open your photo in "paint" then click on "image" and then "attributes" and put in the required image size.

Thank you

Thank you all so much! I uploaded a picture:) I have a great hummingbird picture I want to upload, but the titmouse I uploaded came out really grainy. I don't want to upload my hummingbird until I can figure out what happened to this one. On my computer, the picture still looks good. Any ideas on why that may have happened? I am using Jasc Paint Shop Pro.

Thanks again and thanks for the welcome!

Lydia

Thanks Lydia - first off whenever you do any touch-ups or tweaking make sure you take a copy of yr pic so you still have an original (that's if you don't have software that allows you to reverse changes).

Not sure why yr pic comes out grainy coz I only use "Paint" to reduce the kb size as explained above. Maybe somebody else can help.

Good luck with it, but don't forget to save an "original"

Guy

Export Wizard

FeistyRdHd said:
Thank you all so much! I uploaded a picture:) I have a great hummingbird picture I want to upload, but the titmouse I uploaded came out really grainy. I don't want to upload my hummingbird until I can figure out what happened to this one. On my computer, the picture still looks good. Any ideas on why that may have happened? I am using Jasc Paint Shop Pro.

Thanks again and thanks for the welcome!

Lydia

How are You saving Paint Shop images? If You use the jpg export wizard, You have a choice of quality settings. This is, as I recall, further down the menu than "save as".

http://photobucket.com/albums/v244/tsiya/

I use PSP as well. I just use the 'save as' function to save an edited copy, usually just by adding an 'a' after the filename as it lkeeps everything together in my catalogue software.

I just crop, resize to 800x600 do any adjustments to sharpness, contrast etc. ( the clarify tool is very useful for this as well) and then save a copy using the 'save as' function - saving one copy at 100% and a second 'optimised' copy for web use by adding an 'ao' to the filename to show it's a worked on photo and is optimised.

With the 'save as' function you can vary the amount of compression with the jpeg optimizer - usually I set it 10-15 for decent results - though it does vary photo to photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back