• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bearded Seal Orkney (1 Viewer)

Took a call from a friend on holiday in Orkney earlier today. The Bearded Seal was still present near Finstown this morning.

Dipped on the seal, even though we were only 5 mins away, Mark kindly sent a text, we didnt get it til 2 hours later as we were out of phone range, thanks Mark for your efforts it was very much appreciated, and its just another reason to go up there again, a great few days was had,

Paul

Finn as I named him or her (did we ever work this out?) is still present today on the slipway.

Well worth seeing if you get the chance

Mark

I should like to know whether the reports reflect when it is there or just when somebody looks. There are still people hesitating about committing to trips because of infrequent reports.

John

I think it is more of an occasional haul out on that spot. I don’t think it is there day in day out with any regularity. I could be wrong though and wait to get shot down by irate Finstowners!!

I would say that the Bearded Seal is here for the long haul - as opposed to the short one up the slip way it sleeps on.

I pass the site c. 4 times a week and see the Seal at least 3 of those times.

Sorry for not posting, but did not realise folk where still interested in coming up to see it.

If anyone wants up to the minute news on it please PM me, and I will make certain that I/someone checks it out for you that day.

Goes missing when its high tide - but seems to spend the rest of the time out on the pier.

Cheers,

Paul

The Bearded Seal is still present on Orkney. Shall try to remember to post here if there is any more news, but if anyone is thinking of making the journey to see it, probably best if you drop me an e-mail.

Cheers,

Paul

If you have not seen the seal do go it is well worth the trip, not just the bearded seal, but plenty of common seals as well, and the place is full of hen harriers, short eared owls, divers, seabirds etc.

The local birders are very helpful with info, and I can recommend a pint of Orkney Dark or two!

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back