• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Florida Birding (1 Viewer)

Cervus, did you go to the Ski Beach area? Maybe I've just been really lucky.

I've yet to meet anyone at GC or Wako who knew about the Natural Areas in Palm Beach County. They're addictive ;)

http://www.pbcgov.com/parks/nature/naturalareas/

http://www.pbcgov.com/erm/natural/natural-areas/juno-dunes/

http://www.pbcgov.com/erm/natural/natural-areas/jupiter-ridge/

Juno Dunes has an east and west side. The east is directly on the ocean. I believe this ridge is a remnant of the Pamlico Ridge and I think it is the highest natural point in PBC at 44' above sea level. You can access it from Loggerhead Park which is just south of it.

The county's website can be a little confusing but it's full of informative stuff about various habitats, etc.

I can't wait for the rainy season (if we get one) as areas like Frenchman's Forest in Jupiter will be awesome. There's a boardwalk there through a beautiful hammock which is dry now. The woodsy area is probably the closest I've come to feeling like I'm walking through the woods up north.

Saw my first merlin at Hypoluxo Scrub several months ago. There's also a statue commemorating the Barefoot Mailmen there...but that's not why I go lol. Lots of ospreys hang out there too as it is near intracoastal. Also a vulture nest at Delaware Scrub.

Some of the areas have really fascinating histories , many were failed housing developments. o:)

Last edited:
It's all the way back at the Intracoastal. There's an info board there but I think there needs to be a more obvious "Do Not Feed the Scrub Jays" sign. There's no seawall so it's nice to sit there and take a snack break. Fortunately there's a trash can there too.

When I get there I always feel like Charlton Heston in Planet of The Apes, when he sees the Statue of Liberty stuck in the sand. After hiking over these fairly unspoiled dunes you are suddenly across the water from a bunch of big houses.....and I feel like yelling "damn you".

I just noticed that it's marked on the trail map which you can access from the link above. It's at the end of the Scrub Lizard trail, not the trail with the observation tower. As you go around the trail you'll walk under some power lines a few times and eventually end up back at the parking lot. I got a bit confused the first time. In fact I got lost trying to find the observation tower and ended up at some condo.

You should be able to get some close shots of the jays with your camera phone, provided they're in the right mood. I've even had times where one would walk along with me, while another would be hopping from tree to tree. Made me feel like David Attenborough ;)

Last edited:
I used to go to Juno Dunes and Jupiter Ridge all the time (though I'm not familiar with "Ski Beach"), but this was before I was a true birder. Now I need a Scrub Jay so maybe I'll hit JR this weekend!

I went to Key Biscayne / Bill Baggs this weekend - how pretty! Can't believe I'd never been there.

I can see how this must be a hot spot during migration, but on Friday there was nothing (that I saw) other than Cardinals, Ground Doves, and a few Monk Parakeets.

Nice place though.

I've never been there either. In any case, I've got to get down thee sometime for the migration....especially the peregrines!

I almost went to Ochopee last week. Not just to see that swanky little post office ;) I've never been to that part of the Glades. There are some cute motels/B&Bs that are reasonable now too.

Went to Okeeheelee today. Out on the trail I heard a loud wee--eep wee--eep.
My first Great Crested Flycatcher. He was hard to find but didn't really seem afraid of me. He was in a pretty dense thicket and I had to break a lot of twigs to get near him. Was still too well-hidden for a good photo. However he called for like 20 minutes and had an altercation with a blue jay.

Today was Gothic Bird Day at work.
At least 40 Black Vultures, 10 crows (not sure which) , a gazillion grackles in the relatively small back parking lot at work. Most of the vultures were walking around in a large puddle. I spent my morning break with them.
On the other side of the lot up in the trees was the dailyl swarm of ibis.
And flaring his tail in his usual threatening dance was one of our resident peacocks.
And his hen, looking around not knowing what to make of it.
The peafowl ate half my salad- arugula, cheddar cheese and cherry tomatoes. They loved those tomatoes!

Last edited:
AD Barnes on Friday - besides the usual (Cardinals, Blue Jays, etc...) lots of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, especially in the parking area in the SE corner. Also several very relaxed raccoons draped over tree branches :). And a couple of White-crowned Pigeons.

There were other birds heard but not seen, and I swear I saw one very yellow-breasted warbler before it disappeared. I don't know if it was a Yellow-throated, Prairie, or my wishful thinking.

Everglades NP Sunday: plenty of Pine Warblers in the Pine Land

Merry,

I am glad you are coming down here to explore more and glad you found some good birds. White-crowned Pigeon is not a guaranteed bird at A.D. Barnes Park. I had a Prairie Warbler there just a few days ago, so they are starting to come through. That said, Yellow-throated Warbler is also an early migrant so it could be either bird. Keep an eye out for Louisiana Waterthrush. They should be passing through the forested parks in urban/suburban South Florida from early July through September.

Carlos

I've been observing a pair of RSHs at High Ridge Scrub in Boynton. I assume they're mated because they are not trying to kill each other. They give each other shorter, softer calls than the usual and stay in a relatively small area. Now I just have to form some paths to where they hang out and hopefully get some photos. There's a little too much love from the love vine out there right now!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back