• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji HS50 vs Canon SX50 (1 Viewer)

Here is another example of the 1.5x digital teleconverter on the SX50 - this was shot at 1600mm and hand held. Ascetically it is not very good as I did not get all the reflection in but it is a good example of the digital converter at work.
I would estimate this was shot from around 100 feet and is cropped for compo. I was reasonably pleased with the detail on the black neck from this distance which is the main reason for me posting it.

WOW!! Both of those shots are very sharp, good job!

Terry

these magazine reviews and back to back tests with a recommendation do need to be scrutinized carefully to see exactly what criteria the testers are using for their recommedations.

If for example their review evaluated 'Value for Money' strongly then the Sony is going to win hands down every time and that could be a major influencing factor in the conclusion.
The Sony has been on the market for nearly a year and the purchase price has naturally fallen to nearly half its launch price last year, whereas the Fuji HS50 is a new camera and is being sold at full retail price with no discount yet.

Another factor that cannot be sensibly compared is the zoom feature in video mode for the two cameras. One has a motor drive and the other a manual lens. If you need a fast zooming lens the HS50 is going to win that because it will still be at the focal length you left it in and can be changed manually almost instantly.if you need a smooth zooming lens for video then the Sony is the only choice

The SX50 has a 50x zoom lens whereas the HS50 has only a 42x zoom lens so its not a fair comparison to compare the two cameras on that feature other than to say if you need more zoom than 42x focal length of 185mm then the Sony is the better choice all other things being acceptable.

For camera reviews and recommendations to be any use the tests need to be done on a level playing field . There are too many differences between the cameras for that to done in my view.

Both the cameras have their strong and weak points and you choose the camera that does what you need. All choices at the end of the day will be a compromise on something.

I am still contemplating whether to get the SX50 or the HS50 so I am also hoping to get some comparison pictures from each camera, I am most interested in seeing the results from each camera of the same subject to see if there is a softness problem with the HS50 at full zoom.
The HS50 has more features & better Eye level finder resolution which at 70 my eyes would appreciate it.

Terry

I am still contemplating whether to get the SX50 or the HS50 so I am also hoping to get some comparison pictures from each camera, I am most interested in seeing the results from each camera of the same subject to see if there is a softness problem with the HS50 at full zoom.
The HS50 has more features & better Eye level finder resolution which at 70 my eyes would appreciate it.

Terry

There are some points to differentiate both camera. The most important should be IQ. But which camera offers the widest lens opening? How does this scale towards towards the longest zoom level? How do both cameras compare on sensor noise? I am not very fond of zoom by button, I rather do that manually. If there isn't much difference in IQ then more practical things like manual zoom, stabilisation, finder and so on might help to decide which one to choose.

Terry

terry I can assure you that there isn't a softness problem at full zoom with the HS50.
The problem is with the photographer who lacks experience and doesn't understand how cameras work.

let me illustrate the problem to make it clearer.

if you take a Digiscope with a 10x to 40x magnification and adjust it to maximum magnification 40x and then take a look through the lens what do you imagine you will see if the Digiscope is hand held ????

That is exactly the situation that a zoom bridge camera is dealing with when you try to take pictures handheld at maximum zoom.

You would never see an experienced or professional photographer take pictures hand held at a 1000mm focal range they use a Monopod or a tripod.

Just look at the photographers at a football match or F1 event. Their huge camera lens often don't have the focal length of the Fuji HS50 yet they are all on support without exception for max zoom shots.

The IS in the HS50 lens is excellent but you cannot expect it to completely compensate for camera shake at max zoom which is why the software in all digital cameras manipulates the image to compensate and the result is some amount of blending of pixels or softening.

now if you are talking about a comparison between the Fuji HS50 and the SX50 I'll stick my head out and say that there is no comparison whatsoever to be made.
The SX50 is an old camera with outdated technology which is why it is half the price of the HS50.

The comparison isn't about IQ in my experience its usually about cost.

People who cannot really afford the better camera looking to get the best possible quality for the least amount of money.
Those that cannot afford the HS50 buy an SX50 and then try convince themselves and others that they have a good deal .;)

I have put 6x videos on youtube and started a Flickr group called 'Fuji HS50 EXR owners group.'

There is a link to my Flickr photostream and the group at the bottom of my post. Most of the bird images have been taken at maximum zoom. you can assess the IQ of the HS50 there.

If photography is your passion don't cheat yourself by buying the cheaper inferior camera you'll have plenty of time to regret it.;)
The HS50 is available new from £299.00 ($460) on Amazon ... thats just $1 Dollar a day for a sumpreme photographic experience for one year.:t:

See you on the HS50 Flickr Group soon ;)

Last edited:
now if you are talking about a comparison between the Fuji HS50 and the SX50 I'll stick my head out and say that there is no comparison whatsoever to be made.
The SX50 is an old camera with outdated technology which is why it is half the price of the HS50.
The comparison isn't about IQ in my experience its usually about cost.
People who cannot really afford the better camera looking to get the best possible quality for the least amount of money.
Those that cannot afford the HS50 buy an SX50 and then try convince themselves and others that they have a good deal .;)
What an absolute load of rubbish although I agree on one point - if the shots on the HS50 thread are anything to go on then there is no comparison whatsoever, the SX50 is clearly a far superior Camera and also has a longer focal length which is fairly important for most bird photographers.

You obviously prefer the HS50 which is fair enough but how dare you make the assumption that everyone who has a SX50 did so because they could not afford a HS50 - that is a personal insult to the thousands, if not millions of folk who have the SX50 and you should be ashamed to come out with such garbage on a public site. How do you know what people can and cannot afford? I know of lots of top bird photographers who have all the very best long lenses and DSLR cameras but have still got themselves a little SX50 for when they want to travel light.
Although I do not have one of the very best/longest telephoto-lenses I have more than £10,000 worth of Cameras equipment so cost was certainly not an issue for me - I am at this point contemplating a £5K DSLR lens to add to my kit and you are saying I can afford a £400 Camera:-O

To anyone who has a HS50 or the SX50 just enjoy the Camera, at the end of the day it is more about the photographer than the Camera IMHO. Although I am certainly not overly impressed with the majority of shots in the HS50 thread, I do think it is because of inexperience rather than the Camera itself. Perhaps if there were some better photographers posting on there I would change my mind about the HS50 (a picture paints a thousand words).

BTW I have had a look at your filckr site and have to say that the majority of shots are very soft - I am not sure if this is to do with the Camera or the person behind it but I am sure the Camera must be capable of better images!

Happy snapping :t:

Last edited:
which is the best one for wildlife canon sx50 or Fuji hs50

well think about what characteristics you are going to need for capturing wildlife !;) If you have ever tried to take a picture of a fox or deer or wild bird you'll know how important the following is .

There is absolutely no point in having a mega zoom and brilliant image quality if your camera cannot focus accurately and is too slow to get the shot !.;)

Ask a wildlife photographer and its likely that they will put image quality a long way behind the following essential features
1. Fast start up time
2. Fast auto focus time
3. Fast shot to shot time
4. Manual zoom
5. Good lens IS (image stabilisation)
6. Accurate auto focus
7. Good low light capability

In addition to that I would suggest you need
8. Manual focus
9. Good continuous burst mode shooting
10. image quality

I'm just kiddin by putting IQ last .;) IQ is obviously important but not atthe expense of any of the other features above.

Ask yourself why you are taking the pictures !

is it to sell them ? publish them in National Geographic ? Print them out at A3 poster size ? of course not ...otherwise you'd be buying a DSLR for £5,000 +

More than likely you are like all the rest of us budding wanabee toggers you want to get some great shots like the ones you see in magazines and other photographers portfolios that are admired by all and give you a great sense of achievement and satisfaction.

One tip . something that won't be of any use to a wildlife photographer is a motor zoom .....they are too slow .!;)

Last edited:
Hi Terry. I own an SX50 and am more than happy with it. As EB said cost was a factor for myself but wasn't the overall deciding factor.

I think it's best you have a look at both yourself and see what you think (if you're able to). I bought mine primarily to take photos of my family so my priorities were probably different to other users. I also wanted a big enough zoom to take some pictures of wildlife whilst on holiday. As it happens I've been thoroughly enjoying using it for taking snaps of birds at the local WWT and in the back garden and, as a complete novice, have been happy with it. I find it great to help with ID's for long distance birds as well though both would do this job effectively.

If it's unrealistic to compare side by side then there are two threads on here started by EB and Roy C which will help. I was looking yesterday and there's a very impressive Vulture shot on the HS50 thread taken recently. If you're happier with manual zoom then the HS50 I think I'm right in saying is your only option. I used these threads to make my decision but in all honesty I'd probably have been happy with either having come from a little point and shoot. The only sort of side by side comparison I was able to do from memory was with the SX50 and a friends HS30 regarding build. Whilst I've had zero issues the the Canon the HS30 certainly felt more sturdy in my hands if that makes any sense? I'd guess I'd feel the same difference with the HS50. EB would be able to confirm this.

Good luck with your choice. I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun with whichever model you choose. Don't forget to post some pics.

Rich

what an excellent dispassionate and sensible appraisal Rich.:t:

They are indeed both great cameras but they do have different key features which probably tends to favour certain types of photography for prospective users.

I was fortunate enough to be able to afford the camera that I wanted which was the HS50 but i had already had a Fuji HS10 for 3x years and various other Fuji cameras previously. I think brand loyalty often plays a big sub concious influence over our purchasing decisions.

The image quality debate between the SX50 and the HS50 will probably rage long after both the cameras have been superceeded . The only way to know for sure is if both cameras are set up on the same shot and the resultant images compared.

To my knowledge this hasn't yet been done and even if it had there is so much more to photography than just image quality. If IQ is really a serious issue then we shouldn't really be looking to buy a cheap point and shoot bridge camera but a quality DSLR.

Like the Fuji HS10 the SX50 was a great camera in its day and is still capable of taking excellent pictures today but times and technology move on and it wouldn't be prudent in my opinion to saddle yourself for possibly the next few years with an SX50 whose technology is already obsolete if you can afford to buy something more current with much improved performance.

This is just my personal opinion , it is neither right nor wrong its just an individuals personal opinion. At the end of the day each of us must make our own assessment and buying decisions and hopefully be happy with it.

Remote trigger

Far be it for me to enter this sacred ground but nobody has mentioned the use of a remote trigger with relation to image stabilisation.
We did some comparative shots of a Gladwrap box at 50 feet, my neighbour with his SX50 and me with a Canon 100-400.
There was a small, but noticeable difference, in sharpness in the shots triggered by a corded trigger. [as opposed to a wireless remote] as opposed to hand held or on a tripod.

The best were on a tripod with a remote button.

Makes sense 'cos pressing the button on the camera must move the camera, even if only slightly.

Also, and don't get upset, Roy, but are your images digitally sharpened 'cos they are brilliant.

Last november I bought an SX40, I did get lots of good images but the camera basically fell apart and had to be replaced and I was not entirely happy with the second one. I i'd considered saving for an SX50 but the fears of it falling apart like my first SX40 put me off. Long term I aimed to save for a Fuji HS50 but to just at the right moment a Fuji X-S1 came along.

The Fuji X-S1 is not a perfect camera but it is close, I don't think that the best images I have had from it are better than the best images I have had from the two SX40s but it is a whole lot easier to get good images from the fuji, the other thing is that in handling and feel the Fuji feels like "quality" whereas the Canon SX40 felt as if it was built down to a price.

My assumption is that much of the technology inside the HS50 is much the same as is inside the X-S1. I still have a Fuji HS10 and smaller size apart that camera has the same feeling of quality and ruggedness that my X-S1 has.

The arguments over comparative image quality of the Cannon and the Fujis is trite, once you start using image processing to "perfect" an image that image becomes personal to the person using the software to process that image. In reality I am perfectly sure that if Roy's SX50 was taken off him and a HS50 substituted within a few days he would be posting images of an identical quality to those from his SX50, the only thing I will add is that I am certain that he would find the HS50 a whole easier to use than the SX50.

Last edited:
I have a Fuji (S8200) and there's a few things I'm not really happy with. Number one, sometimes the lens locks up. I have lost more than a few pictures because of this. Another is that it sometimes refuses to turn off. The picture quality is nice (16mp), but I wish it had manual zoom like the HS50 to get photos of birds in heavy brush. I'm not sure what the SX50 is like, but here's a link that may help in this discussion: http://www.dpreview.com/products/co...oducts=canon_sx50hs&products=fujifilm_hs50exr

Whilst I have an X-S1 rather than an HS50 I am pretty sure that you would be delighted with an HS50 and that manual zoom should not be prone to locking up.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back