• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tables with tops on? (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

A little while ago Fat Rat asked whether or not it was better to have a bird-table with a top on.

Well here's one reason to have one (or not?). This is LTS (Long-Tailed Squirrel), who earlier in the year was YS (Young Squirrel), and this morning he was nicking peanuts out of the feeder (I'll have to check that, maybe I need a new one) and burying them around the garden. This was a pause for a 'hunger knock'.

Bill

Attachments

• DS squirrel on table-top 1712 .jpg
    DS squirrel on table-top 1712 .jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 38
Hi Bill,

Yes there are definitely some drawbacks to having tops on the bird tables, but I keep mine on mainly to put the larger birds off so the little'uns have a chance. Having said that, some of my 'regulars' are the jays who regularly feed from the table. It does seem to keep the pigeons and collared doves away, and the squirrels only go up there on odd occasions.

LOL B :)

Hi, i have a top on my table to keep larger birds off. We have several feeders round the garden which are available for the different species. We have candle feeder which we hang just above the fence, this way the doves and the Wodd pigeons can sit on the fence and reach the seed. This kepps them away form the other birds.

We also have several wire feeders in different parts as the starlings tend to hog these.

The other seed feeders are monopolised by the Tits, & Finches who love the sunflower hearts.

Finally we put out lots of fruit and ground food for the blackbirds and Thrushes. We are really pleased to seem to have a resident thrush in the garden again after a long absence.

All in all it seems to work and there is always something different on each station at any time.

There is a Collared dove who, when my wife is filling the feeder, actually comes down to hear within at least a metre, waiting for her to fill up the feeder.

Best wishes

Trevor

Hi Bill
I have now got my table (with a roof) and have placed it in the corner by the shed as in the picture so I am waiting for the birds to get used to it being there and then hopefully start to visit. I have had a couple of Collared doves visit another feeder in the garden for a couple of months now, first there were 2 but yesterday there were at least 4 or 5 hanging around on the rooves next door, they have been acting a bit wierd though since I put it in, as if they are not to sure what it is, is this usual with all birds?

Hi David,

You will find that any changes that you make will generally be viewed with suspicion for a little while. I've got the problem at the moment where I've replaced one of my old seed feeders with a new (bigger and better) one. One Blue Tit came and tried it within about 15 mins but that was all and the level of food in the feeder tells me that most of the birds are using the other (older) feeders. But just get one frosty morning and it'll all change.

You're going to get a similar reaction to any new plants that you put along the fence but not to worry, the birds will soon accept them.

Bill.

Hi Bill
I was out all day today on a BF day to see the red kites in gateshead and whilst I was out my missus rang me to say that our ever growing gang of collared doves (they have gone from 2 to about 5 or 6 a day now) have been using the new table so success at last, you can tell they were there because the seed is now all over the place, if 1 bird sees another on the table will it make any others feel a bit more at ease?

Hi David,

If my new feeder is anything to go by you'll not have any problem, today there were Greefinches, Chaffinches, Spadgers, 3 types of Tits, and a Robin all visiting. Not yet a mass cluster by the Greenfinches but it's mixed seed not sunflower hearts so that's more for the others. Still, it shows how quickly at this time of year birds will adapt to a change. As long as there's food involved they will come. Patience.

Red Kites in Gateshead? Part of the introduction programme?

Bill.

Hi Bill
The Red Kites up at gateshead are the last of the 7 introduction programs in the country and are a bridging population between Scotland and Yorkshire. We were lucky to have June there who is a volunteer for the program and she gave out an information pack full of facts and figures, they are such and elegant bird in flight and make it look so easy, well worth freezing to death to see !!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back