• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fruit trees? (1 Viewer)

Sue & Terry said:
I agree with you re the size of 14' tree Dave, the only thing I'd add is that the Crab apples last throughout the winter (well the majority of it) whereas the berries of our Amelanchier are soon devoured once ripe, by Blackies. A difficult one indeed, all in all depends really on choice.

Sue

Yes, my fruits rarely get the chance to ripen as they are eaten by the Blackbirds and Starlings as soon as they begin to mature. Crab apples are lovely trees and I especially like the ornamental crab Malus 'John Downie'. Excellent flowers and boldly coloured fruit.

Dave

d.steeley said:
Yes, my fruits rarely get the chance to ripen as they are eaten by the Blackbirds and Starlings as soon as they begin to mature. Crab apples are lovely trees and I especially like the ornamental crab Malus 'John Downie'. Excellent flowers and boldly coloured fruit.

Dave

Dave - do you get much in the way of small birds on John Downie? The reason I ask is our birds seem to prefer our smaller fruited crabs to JD.

Isurus said:
.....I would actualy disagree with Sue on this. We prefer not to add compost as we want the tree to push down deep roots asap rather than relying on rich nutrients immediately around its rootball (if that make sense). I do not think it makes that much of a difference either way though.....
Holly is excellent but remember a male is needed nearby and your plant must be female if you want to see berries!

I also prefer not to add compost or add perhaps a little but mix it well with the soil so that the roots will spread out asap. Only a trace of bone meal (as much as you can hold in your hand) if you really want to add anything in the way of fertilizer as this is rich in phosphates which encourages strong root growth. If in doubt, don't use any fertiliser or sparingly on the surface after planting!

Choose either one of the cultivars Ilex aquifolium 'Pyramidalis', or I. aquifolium 'J. C. Van Tol' which are both self-fertile so only one is needed.

For some reason, my mums 6ft Cotoneaster hybridus 'Pendulus' berries are preferred over the (to me) identical berries of the much more vigorous Cotoneaster salicifolius 'Cornubia' nearby?

Must be a subtle colour thing?

willowa said:
In my gardening book, Amelanchier (Snowey Mespilus)Or labled as (Lamarckii) grows to 14ft and is not recomended for a small garden.

J Parker bulbs. Have an offer on dwarf fruit trees at the moment. Cotoneaster (hybridus pendulus) grows as a weeping tree. Or cotoneaster (salicifolius) 15ft. cotoneaster(divaricatus 6ftx6ft or bullatus smaller) All the cotoneasters berries are loved by birds.

I disagree, this tree is perfect for the small garden. How can 14ft be considered large unless you are a grower of alpines? ;)

All I will add is that this tree fruits in mid to late Summer so will not feed hungry mouths when the weather gets cold.

Our native Privet Ligustrum vulgare, NOT the hedging L. ovalifolium is a great resource for birds even though its berries are black.

Last edited:
Isurus said:
Dave - do you get much in the way of small birds on John Downie? The reason I ask is our birds seem to prefer our smaller fruited crabs to JD.

No, the John Downies I know have been in other gardens. You get the usual Blackbirds pecking at the wind falls but I haven't seen much else feed in them.

Steve Nova is correct when he says that the Amelanchier fruits in late summer and does not provide food when it is most needed. However, I grow it for it's ornamental value not as a wildlife plant so the birds that are attracted to it are still welcomed.

Dave

d.steeley said:
No, the John Downies I know have been in other gardens. You get the usual Blackbirds pecking at the wind falls but I haven't seen much else feed in them.

Steve Nova is correct when he says that the Amelanchier fruits in late summer and does not provide food when it is most needed. However, I grow it for it's ornamental value not as a wildlife plant so the birds that are attracted to it are still welcomed.

Dave

I agree completely with what you say about the Amelanchiers, Dave, wonderful onamental trees, with superb foliage through the Spring & Summer, but especially in Autumn. Gorgeous when in bloom too. We certainly didn't buy ours for the berries, though it's wonderful to see the Blackbirds on them in late Summer. I've never seen much on a John Downie either, lovely trees and superb for jelly making, but little in the way of Birds. Each to their own though.

Sue & Terry said:
I agree completely with what you say about the Amelanchiers, Dave, wonderful onamental trees, with superb foliage through the Spring & Summer, but especially in Autumn. Gorgeous when in bloom too. We certainly didn't buy ours for the berries, though it's wonderful to see the Blackbirds on them in late Summer. I've never seen much on a John Downie either, lovely trees and superb for jelly making, but little in the way of Birds. Each to their own though.

there's no doubt amelanchier is a very good ornamental and it certainly adds to our mixed hedge (looks interesting as a single species hedge too - check out the pic on hedging.co.uk).

I just have one problem with them. I have heard the fruit are delicious but they get eaten so quickly I never get a chance to get near a ripe one.
:C

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back