• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coolpix P series? (1 Viewer)

avan said:
Just to be don't like too negative, here a sample of a house finch that is quite good.

Very finely detailed, actually. What was the distance to the bird? Is this also with your 82ED and 30X eyepiece?

Attached is an undoctored 1:1 crop (552 pixels out of 3264) of a Blackbird taken at about 20m handholding to the 20x eyepiece of Lieca APO77. The blur could be a bit of camera shake. Resized and sharpened a bit the result looks fine.

Attachments

• blackbird_crop_28mar06_552_10.jpg
    blackbird_crop_28mar06_552_10.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 514
  • blackbird_28mar06_420_20.jpg
    blackbird_28mar06_420_20.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 397
Yes it's with my 82ED and 30XDS eyepiece. The finch was about 40 ft in my backyard. The cooper's hawk was at the maximum telephoto zoom and the deer about half.Both the AF was on the head. The finch it's quite good, but if you look carefully at the plumage, you see there's a lack of detail, especially at the head where the focus was. Maybe I ask too much of the P1.
Brian, your blackbird are very good. I just hope to see more picture taken with adapter to compare more. Maybe my AF are faulty.

Another shot of an active little bird. Same setup as before. First attachment is a resized version of the original taken at f6.1 1/304s. The camera appears to have underexposed the shot (using spot AF area) but you can still crop out a half-decent pic.

Attachments

• long-tailed_tit_29mar06_640_10b.jpg
    long-tailed_tit_29mar06_640_10b.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 306
  • long-tailed_tit_29mar06_420_10b.jpg
    long-tailed_tit_29mar06_420_10b.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Brilliant adapter, Brian.

Have you used the camera much for general photography: landscapes, etc? If so, how did it perform?

Does it have a manual exposure option?

Adam

There is no full manual but with a combination of Aperture Priority, Programme AE, exposure compensation you can get pretty well any combination you are likely to want.

No landscapes as yet but here's a couple of pics of flowers to be going on with.

Attachments

• strelitzia_26mar06_420_20a.jpg
    strelitzia_26mar06_420_20a.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 126
  • violets_28mar05_420_20.jpg
    violets_28mar05_420_20.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 119
  • lesser_cellendine_28mar06_420_20.jpg
    lesser_cellendine_28mar06_420_20.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 152
  • strelitzia_26mar06_420_20b.jpg
    strelitzia_26mar06_420_20b.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 138
brianhstone said:
There is no full manual but with a combination of Aperture Priority, Programme AE, exposure compensation you can get pretty well any combination you are likely to want.

No landscapes as yet but here's a couple of pics of flowers to be going on with.

To complete Brian, there's a landscape. It's taken with the P1, but it very close the same.

Attachments

• Curtis-house.jpg
    Curtis-house.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 178
So far the images recently posted out of the camera only show it's a good general camera. The landscape and the flowers were good but I'm not seeing any evidence that it's a good digiscoping camera. I'll look forward to seeing more bird photos as I'm still in the market for a small point-and-shoot myself.Neil.

Getting some better results today. This is definitely performing much better as a digiscoping camera than my old 995. Shots are easier and quicker to obtain and the quality is improving all the time. The first peacock shot is just resized with no other adjustments. There was not much tweaking needed to obtain the crop.

Still not had much call to take landscapes but include a fairly lacklustre scene here for interest.

Data for the two digiscoped shots:
Peacock - 13mm, f4.9, 1/342s
Willow Warbler - 16mm, f4.8, 1/222s

Attachments

• peacock_31mar06_800_10_unaltered.jpg
    peacock_31mar06_800_10_unaltered.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 158
  • peacock_31mar06_800_10b.jpg
    peacock_31mar06_800_10b.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 235
  • willow_warbler_31mar06_640_10a.jpg
    willow_warbler_31mar06_640_10a.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 222
  • serpentine_29mar06_800_10a.jpg
    serpentine_29mar06_800_10a.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 168
I too am still waiting for steves-digicams to put up their review of the P cameras, particularly P-3. I wonder why Nikon would use ED glass in the CP-8400 and then not in these top line coolpix cams?? I notice the P lenses are slightly faster than many competitors' cameras, but so little as to be of no help. BF's gary t gets excellent pics with CP-5600 and I would expect the new P series to be even better performance. The EN-EL-8 battery is only 750 mili-amp hr rated, (weak these days) but steves-digicams review gives it a pretty good rating, at over 100 shots plus some tests on the P-1. I can't imagine why they'd want to reduce creative shooting by eliminating Aper.-priority and manual exposure modes . That's all but unacceptable.

Last edited:
BTW Brian, first, thanks for continuing to share your learning experience with the P camera, as obviously several of us are very interested in digiscoping it if it works out. Second, your butterfly shots are indeed much better as you stated. I think it's getting to a good level of detail now. Third, another thing Nikon ommitted I guess, from early top CP cams is manual focus... yes?? This is something I've never had in my three digiscoping cams and was really hoping to add by switching to Nikon. It's amazing how few tech-specs on this P line of cams Nikon has put on their site, and steves-digicams doesn't seem to have it either; as someone mentioned, no ISO list is shown. You say it goes from ISO 50.... to what? and I assume ISO is manually selectable, yes? Thanks very much for all this review help. I'm off to see if dcreview has all the details.

Last edited:
ISO setting fo P4: 50, 100, 200, 400

It has aperture priority but no shutter priority. Shutter speeds appear to top out at 1/1000s but sometimes it seems reluctant to set higher than 1/500s.

The P1 have the Nikkor lens as the CP4500, it's not an ED, but fairly good. For digiscoping, the P serie are slighly better than the cp 4500 4mp in term of overall render, mettering and color, but you need good light or it's start to make grainy image especially for long distance subject. Generaly the camera in digiscoping tend to flatten small details. Where the P serie excell is it's way faster than the predecessor. As for the power consomption, friday it was 20 celsius here, and I go out with 3 batterys, but only use one for all the day (around 80 shots, lots of preview, lots of on/off, zooming, etc.with no sign of low power on the lcd). So with a good temperature it's pretty fair (below zero, it drain pretty fast). The manual focus area positioning work very good, even if you have branch in the way, so no more need of the infinity position. The final image don't take very well unsharp mask in post processing, so I shut it down in the camera.
There's 2 pictures taken this week end digiscoping with the P1, Nikon 82ED, 30XDS eyepiece. The Canadian goose was about 100-125 fts and the mallard at around 30 fts. Both at 50 iso and -EV compensation.

Attachments

• outarde-P1.jpg
    outarde-P1.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 240
  • malard-P1.jpg
    malard-P1.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 250
avan said:
The P1 have the Nikkor lens as the CP4500, it's not an ED, but fairly good. For digiscoping, the P serie are slighly better than the cp 4500 4mp in term of overall render, mettering and color, but you need good light or it's start to make grainy image especially for long distance subject. Generaly the camera in digiscoping tend to flatten small details. Where the P serie excell is it's way faster than the predecessor. As for the power consomption, friday it was 20 celsius here, and I go out with 3 batterys, but only use one for all the day (around 80 shots, lots of preview, lots of on/off, zooming, etc.with no sign of low power on the lcd). So with a good temperature it's pretty fair (below zero, it drain pretty fast). The manual focus area positioning work very good, even if you have branch in the way, so no more need of the infinity position. The final image don't take very well unsharp mask in post processing, so I shut it down in the camera.
There's 2 pictures taken this week end digiscoping with the P1, Nikon 82ED, 30XDS eyepiece. The Canadian goose was about 100-125 fts and the mallard at around 30 fts. Both at 50 iso and -EV compensation.

There is some other sample of digiscoped bird (and animal). all at 50 ISO except the american tree sparrow and the muskrat at 100 ISO. Aperture priority mode

Attachments

• bruant-hudsonnienP1.jpg
    bruant-hudsonnienP1.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 219
  • goelandP1.jpg
    goelandP1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 206
  • merle-P1.jpg
    merle-P1.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 274
  • rat-musqué-P1.jpg
    rat-musqué-P1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 198
Nikon 82ED, 30XDS eyepiece, FSB-3 bracket.
Like Brian said, the more I use the P1, better Is my touch with. And also know it's limitation.
I'm working on an "universal" bracket based on the FSB bracket design, for using my other lens with 28mm thread and eventualy the eagleeye 10X DS eyepiece with the P1 and so other scope than the Nikon. It's made of an L shape aluminum plate and a Nikon UR-E6 extension tube, that have a 28mm thread and fit perfectly the P serie lens. When it was done I gonna send the picture, that can be usefull for the non Nikon scope user that have an interest in the Nikon P serie camera.

Very nice picture's Avan ... I may be interested in getting a P1 with the result's your
getting ... Very nice capture's, I'd like to see your adapter,

Last edited:
The downside of the P serie are the lcd that even it's big and clear, it's of low resolution and are on the soft side and so difficult to make a very fine tuning of the focus. This combined with a not really precise autofocus lend to slighly soft image. He 2X loupe viewfinder is a must with this camera. Photosolve in USA.( In UK eagleeye have it in stock) was out of order of is excellent viewfinder (wide model for 2.5" lcd) so I made one with a cheaper plastic slide viewer hold with velcro, and this help me a lot with the focus.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back