• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reptiles and Amphibians Quiz (1 Viewer)

madamcoolpix

a.k.a. Madam Butterfly
Hi, folks! :hi:

I have a bunch of pictures of reptiles and amphibians that I think I have correctly identified. But I’m not sure and following MlZad suggestion I’ve decided to use them in a Quiz to check those ID.

Sorry if the quality of the pictures is not always as good as it should be... but I was a beginner when I took the photos and my equipment was very modest.

Shall we start with a couple of Spanish snakes? ;) Two views of each one, to help…

Enjoy yourselves!

Attachments

• IMG_0236_Quiz.jpg
    IMG_0236_Quiz.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0238_Quiz.jpg
    IMG_0238_Quiz.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_7310_Quiz.jpg
    IMG_7310_Quiz.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7311_Quiz.jpg
    IMG_7311_Quiz.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 101
Thanks for making this quiz :)
1. Ladder Snake (Rhinechis scalaris)
2. Viperine Snake (Natrix maura)

lthough for some reason it's now Rhinechis scalaris
There've been a lot of changes in the past few years in the latin classification of european species... I think it had something to do with new genetic studies...?

I can hardly wait for more!

Wow, you've been really quick answering! I didn't expect to have replies just after posting, and yesterday I was quite busy to check this. Sorry, I will pay more attention next time!

I'm glad to see all of us agree on both cuties! I know almost nothing on reptiles and amphibians and I identified them using a field guide of European Reptiles and pics on the Internet.

And what about this other one? I found this in a marshy area in N Virginia State, USA. I'm attaching a general view and a head detail in a different angle...

I can hardly wait for more!

I'm so sorry, MlZad, but I'm afraid I don't have more snakes. I thought I had more but I couldn't find them. Probably I'm mistaken with old pictures taken on film, which I should look for them and scan them... but that will take me much more time...

Attachments

• IMG_3705 view.jpg
    IMG_3705 view.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3704 head.jpg
    IMG_3704 head.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 101
It seems my ID problems start soon!!!

Sorry, I wanted to be quicker in answering but I've been quite confused with your suggestion, MlZad. I had this identified as Rough Earth Snake (Virginia striatura). Now I don't know what to think. In your link, I find all those Snakes quite different, I can hardly believe they are all the same species!!! (But I don't know much about Snakes). But one of them, in

http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/VHS/sp_northernwatersnake008.JPG

has that strange (for me) head shape and small eyes. In fact, that it the closest I've ever saw to my pic.

Are you pretty sure that's my Snake or it was just a guess? You don't seem particularly convinced in your post.

Cheers!

I used this to double check (by what was visible from your pictures): http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/VHS/virginia_snake_identification.htm
it came out as a Northern Watersnake. (I also clicked on the answers that I knew/supposed weren't right and got something else entirely every time)

Since I'm no expert on US Snakes and I couldn't find a page with pictures of Rough Earth Snakes, I can't say I'm a 100% sure.

Definately a Northern Water Snake, Earth Snakes are tiny and have a different head shape. Here's a Rough Earth Snake (adult):
Thanks for the explanation and the link cjwolf.

That Earth Snake is so cute!

Thanks for the link. Even before I went to check it out, I thought:"Could that be Mario Schweiger?"
My assumption was confirmed when I went to the thread. I visit his web site every once in a while ( http://www.vipersgarden.at/ ) and I find a lot of useful info there (there's a picture of a lemon yellow Nose-horned Viper with a black zig-zag that's my favorite).
I found interesting info on the thread also ("Hierophis viridiflavus - black form, now considered to be a separate species, Hierophis carbonarius" that and the fact that he got bitten 5 times by Nose-horneds and only once had a mild reaction!)
Anyway, he says that he loves to come to Croatia to find snakes. I'll send him an e-mail (I've been wanting to do that for quite some time, but now I'll do it a.s.a.p.! maybe even tonight, if I get the chance)...

Well, Cole and MlZad, I see you are having a nice talk on Snakes! o:D

Sorry for the absence, I couldn't visit the Forum unexpectedly for some days (leting alone the upgrade!). Thanks a lot both of you for identifying this Water Snake, now I see all clearly.

I was thinking on posting something else in the Quiz, but I found this beauty last weekend, and I'm longing for confirming the ID, so I let it to the experts... (he, he,...)

As usual, two views, just in case it helps.

Cheers

Attachments

• L1020324.jpg
    L1020324.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 85
  • L1020328.jpg
    L1020328.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 85
Although I think this is more Mil's area than mine, I'll give it a go. Could you please tell me the location before I start? I don't want to say:"It's species x." only to find out that it doesn't live there... it happened to me once (that I can remember)...

Oh dear! It seems I'm completely out of my mind! :eek!:

I forgot to say it was taken very near to where I live, Oviedo, Northern Spain. Location is a very important clue, that I always add to the information... except today. My appologies!

Have a nice "go"! ;)

Well, that is what I'm thinking it is... But I'm guessing too! ;)

I find little Lizards terribly difficult to ID. Mil told me that in many cases it is necessary to hold them to ID them correctly... and I can't imagine me catching these quick creatures. Besides, I fear to harm them trying to catch them or handle them. I prefer to leave it for the experts! |:D|

I will try to post more pics tomorrow. Meanwhile, I hope somebody can confirm the last cutie!

in many cases it is necessary to hold them to ID them correctly...
That's the only way I can do it. That and the ID guide from my book.

I can't imagine me catching these quick creatures
Believe me, catching these guys can be rather funny... at least to those that are watching you attempt it. It can also be quite frustrating....

Besides, I fear to harm them trying to catch them or handle them
I worry about that to, so I always try to get as close as possible (as slowly as possible) and I spend sometimes even 5 minutes contemplating if that is even possible (because of the terrain, my position...) and I wait until I feel "that the time is right" (instinct feeling?) Usually I aim a couple of centimeters in front of the head. That way I at the very least get them just before the back legs... unless they slip in between my fingers... hehe.

It is one from the
Iberolacerta (Iberian Rock Lizard) species which was spit recently.
It look like Iberolacerta monticola or cyreni.

Best,
Mil

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back