• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last Butterfly of the year, 2018 (1 Viewer)

I know an old cellar which is more known for hibernating bats, but there are always several Peacocks too. I wonder if going there on New Years Eve evening would bring me the last butterfly of the year?

I know an old cellar which is more known for hibernating bats, but there are always several Peacocks too. I wonder if going there on New Years Eve evening would bring me the last butterfly of the year?

It's up to you ... ;)

(Of course someone going to their 'special location' nearer midnight in a different time zone could pip you to the post for the last one ... )

Painted Lady feeding on hee-bee (or hi-bi?) in front of my bedroom window today. Followed by another...then another. My suspicion is that they had just arrived in on the southerlies and sunshine? A Peacock was also seen on the wing by our expert entomologist, Bob Dawson.

Painted Lady feeding on hee-bee (or hi-bi?) in front of my bedroom window today. Followed by another...then another. My suspicion is that they had just arrived in on the southerlies and sunshine? A Peacock was also seen on the wing by our expert entomologist, Bob Dawson.

According to Migrant Lepidoptera forum there were 4 species of butterfly seen on Scilly yesterday: 14+ Painted Lady, 2 Peacock, Red Admiral + Small Tortoiseshell. Pretty good for the end of December! The Painted Ladies are probably fresh migrants as an Egyptian Grasshopper was also photographed in Hugh Town.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back