• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any recent information on Birding Honduras? (1 Viewer)

jczinn

I'm planning a trip to Honduras for February 2011. We'll be a Pico Bonito and then travelling to Copan.

Unfortunately it seems impossible to find a copy of the Birding Honduras Checklist and Site Guide, I've had it on my Ebay watchlist for months; no luck at Buteo Books or Abebooks etc. Does anyone have any ideas on where else to look? Anyone want to lend me a copy? (Can't hurt to ask! ;)

Also, as a point of information, I've discovered that Jorge Barraza, who is often recommended as a guide in Copan, is no longer there--apparently he's moved to the States! But I have located another guide in Copan who speaks English and seems knowledgeable--Alexander Alvarado, [email protected]. Also, Robert Gallado is still in Copan, but he books up with big guided tours at least during the peak season, when we will be there.

I can report back after our trip. Meantime, would really like to obtain a copy of that book.....

I have the book, email [email protected]

Also look on the authors website, or perhaps email them.

You need to consider using Pico Bonito Ecolodge.

Don't miss Lancetilla Botanical Gardens in Tela, great birding and plants.

In Copan you should use Roberto. Maybe stay at his lodge to get a bit of an in.

I have the book, email [email protected]

Also look on the authors website, or perhaps email them.

You need to consider using Pico Bonito Ecolodge.

Don't miss Lancetilla Botanical Gardens in Tela, great birding and plants.

In Copan you should use Roberto. Maybe stay at his lodge to get a bit of an in.

Thanks, I will drop you a line :) We are staying at Pico Bonito Lodge for five nights, then traveling to Copan. We did contact Roberto (I assume you mean Robert Gallardo), but as I said unfortunately he is fully booked for guiding while we are there. He has been helpful though in providing information and his website is very useful.

Hi Janet
I moved away from the region a couple of years ago, so the information on my website (link below) is not completely up to date. I don´t know of any other guides to suggest. They have some decent guides resident at the Lodge at Pico Bonito and they can take you out to some other sites in the area. The lodge is a great location, with good birding on site, but you may want to get out to some of the other sites at Pico Bonito to widen your range of species and maybe visit Cuero Y Selado mangroves. I believe that the Lodge can also arrange longer day trips out to the Ajuan Valley, which has the Honduran Emerald.
If you need any specific information about any sites, just ask here or PM me.
Good luck with the trip. I am itching to get back to Honduras, which will not be until next summer.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I have been using your site as well and its been really useful. We are doing a "birder's package" at Pico Bonito and included in that are trips to Cuero Y Selado and the Honduran Emerald reserve, so we should get good coverage in that area. Mainly I wanted the book for information on where to go around Copan, we are hiring a guide for at least one day there--looks like we might go up to El Malcote reserve. I find sometimes the best resource is to look at where the VENT, Field Guide etc. trips go, and then do it ourselves :)

I find sometimes the best resource is to look at where the VENT, Field Guide etc. trips go, and then do it ourselves :)
I agree that they usually know all the best sites. However, they try to keep the details secret and their trip reports tend not to give explicit directions. That is where someone local on the ground can help a lot. Sometimes these companies use the local guides, so by using them as well you are getting the same information.

Tom

In Copan there are a number of coffee growers who will take you to their farms in the hills. Check at the tourist info in the main square.
Which is quite a good idea, as many of the good regional specialties are often most easily seen in Coffee plantations.

Tom

Thanks all, we've arranged with Alex Alvarado for a half-day trip up to the El Malcote Nature Preserve. He was quite helpful and responded quickly to emails, I believe he actually works at the bird park in Copan. That may be all we have time for, in terms of a guided tour, as we only have two and a half days and we want at least one day for the ruins...perhaps we can get to one of the coffee plantations for a couple of hours. I think we're set, although I'd still like to find a copy of that book!

Just to update, I found a copy of the book used, via Amazon.com. Got it today and it is actually quite good, lots of interesting information and a good checklist. Glad I found it!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back