• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle owls breeding in city center (1 Viewer)

orniodesigns

For those who are travelling in Helsinki:

Eagle owls are confirmed breeding in Helsinki city center. Breeding site is on roof top of shopping center located between central railway station and bus station. They choose probably busiest place in the town! Their diet consists (originally feral) rabbits, rats and birds.

Nest can be vieved from Sokos Hotel Vaakuna and the owls high in roof of shopping center Forum. The roof itself is ofcource inaccessible. There is several eagle owl territories in Helsinki.

http://www.birdlife.fi/tiedotteet/kuvat/huuhkaja%207.3.2011%20Marja%20Saarinen.JPG

I remember back in the '70s ( and possibly the '80s ) a pair of Eagle Owl nested on the cliff between the two halves of Luxembourg ( city ). You could sit in a bar and watch them leave the nest site and, on occsion, watch them trying to catch cats in the city itself. Birding at it's finest ( or laziest ;) )

Chris

1135265248668.540x405.jpg

Youngs are growing nicely!

Many birders are worried what happens when fledlings come down to road level. Eagle owls are known to be agressive if humans go close to their fledlings.

Well done those Eagle Owls for surviving, they certainly shot up in size in a couple of weeks.

About 4 years ago in Middlesbroughs Town Centre an Eagle Owl took up residence for about 6 months, it became known for its diving at people and chasing and catching the local feral Pigeons. IN the end it was found to be an escapee and the person that owned it managed to catch it. At that time I used to finish work at midnight and one night I came out and it was sat in one of the nearby buildings and started to hoot, it was quite eerie. Here is a piece from the BBC website that showed some of its photos.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tees/content/image_galleries/owl_gallery.shtml?1

Last edited:
I love the one with it sat outside your Southern Fried Chicken store.....it probably seemed a really good choice to the parents when they chose this area but.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back