• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid BA 7x42 (1 Viewer)

Petrus82

I'm interested in buying a second hand model of these binoculars. They are in good to very good condition. What would be a good price for them? Are they any good?

I'm interested in buying a second hand model of these binoculars. They are in good to very good condition. What would be a good price for them? Are they any good?

I think they are very good, with an excellent field of view of 140m at 1000m. The close focus is not brilliant - around 6m I think. The newer BN range greatly improved the close focus of all the models in the range. Personally speaking, I would not be prepared to pay more than £500. If they were in green you might pay a little more as they would be almost collectable. |:p|

at the time when they were made I think these trinovids were the best roof bins going....I still use my 7x35b trinovid....

at the time when they were made I think these trinovids were the best roof bins going....I still use my 7x35b trinovid....

Gunut,

The "Leica" Trinovid BA binoculars here were the 1st upgrade of the "Leitz" Trinovids. I have a Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA (green armored) which has Uppendahl roof prisms like your 7x35b has. The Leica Trinovid BA binoculars have Schmidt/Pechan prisms. No 7x35 versions were made for the new Schmidt/Pechan versions. This also is when Leitz started using the Leica name on their binoculars.

Your Leitz 7x35b Trinovid is one of the best looking Roof Prism binoculars ever made.:t:

Here is a thread about them:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=29299

Bob

Last edited:
Have the 8x42 BN and a 10x42 BN. try finding a BN model for the better close focus. Solid build great view in my opinion Superb Bins

How do these compare to the earlier Zeiss BGAT 7x42?

Hello Petrus,

I have both but I preferred the Zeiss, which had phase coating. Although the Leica is waterproof and more compact, there is is something about the Zeiss that made me favour it. It has a wider field of view, a larger sweet spot and I thought it had less edge fall off. I do not recall any problems with chromatic aberration with either.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

On line I have found a Trinovid 10x42 BA going for GBP 649 with one reputable retailer based in Bath.

I would guess that this is the kind of price you may need to pay. It seems that they can hold their value pretty well.

I have a Trinnie 10x32 BN - build like a brick and still going strong!

The last Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 BGATs made were called classics. and that sums them up perfect. In my opinion a Binocular land mark. So glad I own a pair. Superb Zeiss workman ship

Still say if your going for a Trini go for a BN model :t:

Good point.

Don't limit yourself to the Trinovid BA if the price is right for you on a Trinovid BN. Ergonomically there isn't any difference between them. The difference is that you will be able to focus closer with the Trinovid BN. They look and feel the same.

I have a 7x42 Trinovid BN which I purchased new after it was replaced by the 7x42 Ultravid. It is still an excellent binocular!

Scroll down in the link below to find a chart comparing them:

http://www.company7.com/leica/binoculars.html

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back