• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last Butterfly of the year, 2018 (1 Viewer)

Following several days of cold heavy rain, snow today!

My season is over, bar some miracle.

It has however been an amazing September/October - no less than 33 species during the two months, very nice for this north-eastery location

Round-up of the two months:
- September
- October

Last edited:
Last Wednesday on the Lizard: Red Admiral and Peacock. Today Red Admiral and 2 Speckled Wood up here in N Devon. Also still a few Common Darters.

I'm not sure I should be taking part in this? Here on Scilly it could probably go on for another couple of weeks yet! But just for the record, today I had 20-plus Red Admirals and half-a-dozen Speckled Woods.

2nd November.

5 Small Coppers seen together still flying in the Pennine foothills on the Greater Manchester/Derbyshire border. Daytime temperature of only 6 degrees but 2 were spiralling and landed with wing fluttering courtship display. Hardy little creatures.

John

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    833.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
November 6th. One Small Copper still hanging on at Ludworth Quarry, in Greater Manchester. Roosting on a ragwort but when I returned 30 minutes later it had flown. Day temp today 12 degrees but with a stiff southerly wind. The slope below the quarry is SW facing but not particularly sheltered. The ragwort where it was roosting is central in the photo.

Cheers, John

Attachments

• DSC08314a - Copy.JPG
    DSC08314a - Copy.JPG
    474.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC08295 - Copy.JPG
    DSC08295 - Copy.JPG
    896.2 KB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back