• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prostaff vs. Monarch . (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,

I think I already decided on the model, I will be a 10x42, but ... what format?

I'm hesitating between Prostaff and Monarch. I have seen that there is quite a price difference between them, imagine that also in the quality of image and mechanics?

Has anyone been able to compare these two models, Prostaff and Monarch?
Is it worth the price difference?

I have seen that there is even the Monarch 5 model and the Monarch 7 ...
What a mess !!

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Wachi

I have experience with these models. The PS7 10x42 is a very capable binocular and is a good
choice in this price range. If thinking the Prostaff models don't go below the PS7, as it is phase coated
the lesser models are not.

The Monarch models are better yet, the Monarch 5 I have had in 8x42 is very good, and currently I
have the Monarch 7 10x42, it is the top of the Monarch line.

These are all made in China, Nikon has top quality control, and you will find these built well and
should satisfy. So to sum it up, the higher priced models are better, both in optics quality
and the field of view is larger in the Monarch models, depending on which one you select.

Jerry

Comparing the Monarch 8x30 against the ProStaff 8x30, I would say that the mechanics on those two are pretty much identical, but the Monarch has ED optics and dielectric coated prisms, and a wider FOV. This actually makes the ProStaff less critical in terms of eye positioning - at least on the 8x30 model. Not much wrong with the ProStaff for the money, though.

If the 10x42 is similar, I think it would be pretty decent.

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind response.
Really, It's really worth it, in your opinion, Monarch 7 on Monarch 5, the price difference is substantial !!

The Prostaff model is cheaper even ...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back