• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified Moth Caterpillar (1 Viewer)

coaltit

United Kingdom
I came across this caterpillar by complete chance I was disposeing of some Recyclable Items into the Recyclable Bin and I Immediately noticed these large Droppings on top of the bin I soon located a light green caterpillar which had been eating leaves of my neighbours privet hedge, this caterpillar I could not really capture with my camera but it was a smooth skin caterpillar with a yellow stripe running along the side of the body from head to tail and the tail also had a pointed end, Update presently can,t download onto here unfortuneately but I can confirm the larva now as a Copper Underwing (A Pyramidea) I have seen the adult moths a few times in the garden but this larva is my first record well pleased.
Update.. Caterpillar still present as it was yesterday at 2:30pm thou still moveing its head and upperparts at around 09:20 am .. Caterpillar out of sight for the first time at 12:30pm no doubt further Inside the hedge fingers crossed it comes to no harm Hopefully.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back