• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Ultravids coming (1 Viewer)

... I did not think that there was supposed to be a difference in brightness[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Congratulations on your new purchase.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Thanks for the input, Arthur ...

Actually, the following quote is taken from the spec page on the product from B+H Photo:

"Its specially coated prisms increase light transmission, thus making it brighter than the predecessor. This improvement translates into better twilight performance to discern fine details in any low light situation."

I did not, however, find this to be the case. (And since I make my living photographing scenes in extreme low light with large format film cameras, I ask for your trust in this assessment).

Your other point on color dynamics is well considered, and once these blasted clouds lift I'll do some more exterior tests and post an addendum. In the meantime, interior testing under incandescent lighting suggests that the HDs seem to have an ever-so-slight increase in color vibrancy. You've got to be looking for it, though, and have both pairs handy for side by side, eye-squinting comparison. More soon.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays to you ..

Robert

Last edited:
Robert,

Based on what you have written I should take the pre-HD Ultravids, in my case I'm looking at a 7x42 over the HDs given the price difference.
The reason I ask is that I doubt I'll be able to do a side by side comparison of the two as the current model is selling fast given the cost difference so I have to make a quick decision.

-Mike

Robert,

Based on what you have written I should take the pre-HD Ultravids, in my case I'm looking at a 7x42 over the HDs given the price difference.
The reason I ask is that I doubt I'll be able to do a side by side comparison of the two as the current model is selling fast given the cost difference so I have to make a quick decision.

-Mike

Mike,

Given your parameters, and if you don't want to pay an extra 250.00 USD for aquaphobic coatings**, your logic makes sense. I'd go for it while you can. Apparently, a better warranty on the pre-HDs, too.

Let us know how you make out,

Robert

**(the most significant utilitarian difference between pre-HD and HD models in my opinion).

Last edited:
8x32 HD - My First Thoughts

Was able to get my hands on a pair of 8x32 HD's at Cley Spey in Norfolk yesterday.

Now, everyone has different opinions on the focus system. Mine is that the first pairs of Ultravids were truely awful, and the latter pairs were better but with still too much play for the amount of money. To an earlier poster, I never knew of any play on Trinovids, certainly none on my old BA's.

The HD's I tried were better. A little slack at the start of a turn but then smooth. A much needed improvement for me; I'd be happy with them now.

Optically they were simply superb, and very slightly better than the old non-HD Ultravids (which were always optically fantastic). To my eyes. Some people will still prefer the Zeiss image, and it is hard even for Leica fans to say where the extra £400 goes, but I loved the Ultravid image quality.

What I don't love is that there are no 8x42's anywhere! Anyone know of any about?

BT

PS - Don't like the new, shorter warrenty either...

I don't think I ever stated "play" when referring to the focussing of the two Leica systems....

No, but you did write "I reckon the focus on the HD will feel pretty much the same as the Ultravid and The Trinny's before.".

IMO the focus on the Ultravids felt totally different to the Trinovids and it prevented me buying a pair - although you've stated earlier that you don't mind the feel of it, so good for you & each to their own ;)

Was able to get my hands on a pair of 8x32 HD's at Cley Spey in Norfolk yesterday...

You should have said hello, I was working that day... I remember you coming in though so will add you to my BF list! The HD's do seem to be being well received, everyone can see the improvement. However whether the improvements are enought to justify the price increase is a matter of debate. It is worth noting though that the RRP has only goen up by ~£100, the apparently large increase is due to heavy discounting on the standard Ultravids to make way for these new ones.

No, but you did write "I reckon the focus on the HD will feel pretty much the same as the Ultravid and The Trinny's before.".

IMO the focus on the Ultravids felt totally different to the Trinovids and it prevented me buying a pair - although you've stated earlier that you don't mind the feel of it, so good for you & each to their own ;)

Well if we are getting into semantic pedantry I did say "pretty much the same" !

The point I am making is that Leica's appear to have a particular feel to the focus - maybe you didn't experience it with the Trinovids but many people on here have quoted this 'feel' which some describe as 'notchy' - see the stiff knob threads if you can bear to read them. Someone on an Ultravid thread compared their "notchy" focus Ultravids to their father in laws (?) Trinovids and said they were comparable in this respect. The Leicas I have tried all have this 'feel' which some don't like and others just get on with.

Quite a few people tested the HD's at Bird Fair events recently and reported the focus to 'feel' the same as the Ultravid, maybe worse in one instance. This was my point.

As you say, each to their own. I tend to prefer my EL's though its focus has just gone 'notchy' - talk about irony !

Last edited:
Well if we are getting into semantic pedantry I did say "pretty much the same" !

The point I am making is that Leica's appear to have a particular feel to the focus - maybe you didn't experience it with the Trinovids but many people on here have quoted this 'feel' which some describe as 'notchy' - see the stiff knob threads if you can bear to read them. Someone on an Ultravid thread compared their "notchy" focus Ultravids to their father in laws (?) Trinovids and said they were comparable in this respect. The Leicas I have tried all have this 'feel' which some don't like and others just get on with.

Quite a few people tested the HD's at Bird Fair events recently and reported the focus to 'feel' the same as the Ultravid, maybe worse in one instance. This was my point.

As you say, each to their own. I tend to prefer my EL's though its focus has just gone 'notchy' - talk about irony !

Hi
I think this post refers to myself as I have in this and another thread mentioned that my fathers trinovid 8x42BN and a friends Trinovid 10x42BN both have the, what I feel is "rocking" in the focus wheel and this is exactly what I have in my 10x42 Ultravids and this is exactly the same in a pr of the new 10x32HD I tried out in a local shop,namely Pennine photographic in Rochdale.

I have no for or against the issue, as in practice it does not alter my birding experience but I have felt the rocking ,that is the focus wheel can be rocked a small amount back and forth (not when in a singular one way action). The focus does not alter one bit but the play is there and it is in all the, small, pool of Leicas I have tried. As I mentioned also that my father cannot detect this in either his or mine and was not even aware of it until the topic was discussed.

As said it does not bother me but I do wonder why they can not get it as silky smooth and responsive as my wife's Nikon 8x32HGs and the lesser Pyser Eagle 8x42s just so that the issue would not exist.

What would we use as target practice then....the crap rain guard? It shows they are still a top binocular.

!

i have from a good source , that on the fairs not a single HD was presented for testing, it where al ultravids with "HD" added !!! Even at the belgian show last week there where no HD's to show.

Hi
I think this post refers to myself as I have in this and another thread mentioned that my fathers trinovid 8x42BN and a friends Trinovid 10x42BN both have the, what I feel is "rocking" in the focus wheel and this is exactly what I have in my 10x42 Ultravids and this is exactly the same in a pr of the new 10x32HD I tried out in a local shop,namely Pennine photographic in Rochdale.

I have no for or against the issue, as in practice it does not alter my birding experience but I have felt the rocking ,that is the focus wheel can be rocked a small amount back and forth (not when in a singular one way action). The focus does not alter one bit but the play is there and it is in all the, small, pool of Leicas I have tried. As I mentioned also that my father cannot detect this in either his or mine and was not even aware of it until the topic was discussed.

As said it does not bother me but I do wonder why they can not get it as silky smooth and responsive as my wife's Nikon 8x32HGs and the lesser Pyser Eagle 8x42s just so that the issue would not exist.

What would we use as target practice then....the crap rain guard? It shows they are still a top binocular.

I must admit the focus on my Ultravid 10 x 42's has never concerned me either - I actually like the 'responsive' feel and fast action. They are great bins and I continue to recommend them, though granted they are perhaps not for everyone !

Last edited:
i have from a good source , that on the fairs not a single HD was presented for testing, it where al ultravids with "HD" added !!! Even at the belgian show last week there where no HD's to show.

I don't know if I buy that black lark. If people are already buying the product in UK and USA, albeit in limited supply, then I don't see why Leica would be using old Ultravids tarted up at a fair last week ? I would imagine they had prototypes long before production models were available. Surely ? Perhaps you can enlighten us as to your source ? If it is the CEO of Leica, I'll believe the rumour !

Last edited:
"...Your other point on color dynamics is well considered, and once these blasted clouds lift I'll do some more exterior tests and post an addendum. In the meantime, interior testing under incandescent lighting suggests that the HDs seem to have an ever-so-slight increase in color vibrancy. You've got to be looking for it, though, and have both pairs handy for side by side, eye-squinting comparison. More soon."

Robert,

Could you comment about differences in flare between the Ultravid 10x32's and the HD's? Thanks.

Mike

"...Your other point on color dynamics is well considered, and once these blasted clouds lift I'll do some more exterior tests and post an addendum. In the meantime, interior testing under incandescent lighting suggests that the HDs seem to have an ever-so-slight increase in color vibrancy. You've got to be looking for it, though, and have both pairs handy for side by side, eye-squinting comparison. More soon."

Robert,

Could you comment about differences in flare between the Ultravid 10x32's and the HD's? Thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Well, you're not going to believe this -- but conditions for checking flare were actually ideal today and both models were near zero for flare (unlike the Zeiss FL which is notorious for flare. I think that's what "FL" stands for, actually!). But, the pre-HD model tested a little better, i.e., with a touch less flare than the HD! Now why do you suppose that would be? Something to do with HD glass or aquaphobic coatings, maybe? Or individual variation between units? Still not a deal breaker, though, as both are outstanding in this regard and well within user tolerance levels.

I've set aside this coming Thursday for yet more testing, including a side-by-side comparisons of 2 HDs (one more on the way, Wednesday) to account for individual variation between units of the same model. So if you can think of any other comparison questions then send them my way and I'll factor them into my tests.

By the way, the reason I've ordered a second HD is because the first pair seems to be exhibiting less than pin-perfect focussing in the left scope. After testing, the weaker of the two units will be returned to the supplier as a "manufacturer's defective unit".

Cheers,

Robert

Last edited:
I don't know if I buy that black lark. If people are already buying the product in UK and USA, albeit in limited supply, then I don't see why Leica would be using old Ultravids tarted up at a fair last week ? I would imagine they had prototypes long before production models were available. Surely ? Perhaps you can enlighten us as to your source ? If it is the CEO of Leica, I'll believe the rumour !

i have this from the main importer in europe, and the leica people at the stand on the fair in belgium have said it also after we ask it !!!!

...- maybe you didn't experience it with the Trinovids but many people on here have quoted this 'feel' which some describe as 'notchy' - see the stiff knob threads if you can bear to read them. Someone on an Ultravid thread compared their "notchy" focus Ultravids to their father in laws (?) Trinovids and said they were comparable in this respect. The Leicas I have tried all have this 'feel' which some don't like and others just get on with....

I don't think the Trinovids ever had that notchy feel as some (but not all!) original Ultravids have. What one finds in the Trinovids, however, is that they tend to develop some excessive play. Leica can correct that again, fortunately.
These two things should not be confused. With the play, it takes a bit of moving the focus wheel before you get a change in focus. With the coarse or notchy focus, one has to exert a bit more force before the wheel starts to move. And in the extreme cases I observed, one virtually always goes beyond the correct focus because of it. But because there are many samples where the situation is not that bad, many people don't understand the complaints. And then, fortunately, one also finds Ultravids with that excellent silky-smooth focus that they all should have.

Last edited:
'Excessive play' and 'notchy' feel, are all the same to me really in that the focus knob has a what can best be described as a quirky feel. If the focus knob 'lags' then this is is also surely notchy ?

Whatever, I am perfectly happy with my Ultravids - shame more people don't just use their bins for what they bought them for rather than engineering diagnostics !

£1200-£1300

all those 'improvements' and a shorter warranty? Is that true?

impressive

reminds me of an old top tip:Manufacturers of Gilette razors... Leapfrog Wilkinson Sword's inevitable six-bladed response to your new five-blader, and immediately release a seven-bladed razor.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back