• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU 51st supplement (6 Viewers)

Last edited:
Oreothlypis/Leiothlypis

SACC now has a series of proposals (#448-454, Aug 2010) to follow changes resulting from the 51st Supplement:
http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/SACCproproster.html
SACC proposal #453 to recognise parulid genus Oreothlypis failed to pass 3 Jan 2011:
www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/SACCprop453.html
www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/SACCRecentChanges.html

So NACC/Cornell & SACC agree to disagree on this one.

Revised SACC proposal #453x to recognise genus Leiothlypis (as per failed NACC proposal 2009-B-3):
www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/SACCprop453x.html

Richard

Last edited:
Here is the summary of the new species (including vagrants now accepted) which are additions to the checklist

http://www.aba.org/checklist/

can anyone enlighten me why vagrants are "collected" on Attu island?
While i'd like to see it kept to a minimum I am a scientist myself and can understand the scientific and even conservation rationale behind collection of potential new taxa, but what do we find out from the collection of birds such as the solitary snipe and rufous-tailed robin mentioned?
as far as i know no-one is trawling round fair isle or the azores with a shotgun collecting migrants (at least not for scientific purposes....)
yours confused,
James

As far as I know no-one is trawling round Fair Isle or the Azores with a shotgun collecting migrants (at least not for scientific purposes....) yours confused, James

Might that be because there might be Azoreans with shotguns who would like to collect a collector?
MJB

Re; shotgun. I consider the ABA list as the USA version of uk400. The reason those two birds, snipe & robin, were shot is because two seen only records or poorly photographed were rejected by overly clenched sphincter-list committee members. SO birders said, OK here is a specimen.

I don't think the ABA is at all comparable to the UK400. For one, they strictly follow AOU on taxonomy, common names, etc. They also have an actual committee to vet sightings. UK400 is basically up to the whims of one person, with changes motivated as much by year lists as any change in science.

Also U of Alaska has been collecting on the islands for a long, long time. I doubt ABA had any role in their decision to collect those birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back