• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

???????? (1 Viewer)

craig whitmore said:
When I blew this up 300% and ajusted the contrast to see if this were a female, or imm. male, looks like someone fudged the color on the rump and neck. You wouldn't do that would you Michael?QUOTE]

Of course not! Everything is the orginal color. What color does it look like when you blow it up?

Pine Grosbeak it is. I'll be posting a couple *better* shots in the gallery in the near future.

Any more sparrows, anyone? :bounce: We'll, here one is, whether or not you want it... :eek!:

Michael

Attachments

• 272_7266.jpg
    272_7266.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 60
I wasn't going to do this one since I always get sparrows wrong. However, it doesn't look like Song Sparrow and it seems too streaked for Lincoln's. Don't think it's Vesper. Savannah seems a good call. Bet it isn't, though. ;)

Joining the savannah group

Michael, yesterday you mentioned BF addiction. New here, but already getting withdrawal symptoms when I go to bed at night :egghead:

not clicking the thumbnail, I assumed gray-crowned rosy-finch...

Field Sparrow, perhaps?

I'm back again. ;)

This one was a Savanna Sparrow. :clap:

Another one now; may be kinda tricky. I'm not quite sure that it is identifiable from the photo, so take your best guess...

Sean, if I ever catch up on the scoreboard, I'll give you 3 more points for what you've missed. ;)

Attachments

• 262_6296.jpg
    262_6296.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 37
I will go with Swainson's Thrush.

Even though, the eye ring should be a little more distinctive and I do not see the buffy face (could be the lighting?). I think the Gray-cheeked would show darker, more distinct breast spots (per Sibley).

Also, it look like the Swainson's would be the more commonly encountered species of thrush in your area (excepting the Hermit Thrush).

Don't know if I can still play since I"ve missed so many the past few days, but I'll go for Swainson's Thrush.

EDIT: LOL! That's what I get for stepping away from my computer to refill the wine glass and not hitting "refresh" before replying! So I'll amend mine to say I agree with Larry. ;)

Looks like Hermit to me. Swainson's should show fairly prominent buff "spectacles", not just an eyering. Also this bird seems plump to me.

.....but wouldn't the breast spots be more distinctive and blacker in Hermit thrush?

As such, I would have gone for Swainson's; however, the pale base to the lower mandible doesn't seem extensive enough, and seems to match........

Bicknell's thrush.

I remember a bird that turned up on Scilly, England in 1986 that was identified as Swainson's, then Gray-cheeked, then it turned out to be a Bicknell's - which of course is a kind of intermediate between the two. Depressingly, our national rarities committee has never accepted it as such.

Sean

Michael W said:
Another one now; may be kinda tricky. I'm not quite sure that it is identifiable from the photo, so take your best guess...

If you're not sure, what chance have we got ;)

Best guess, Swainson's.

Ghostly Vision said:
.....but wouldn't the breast spots be more distinctive and blacker in Hermit thrush?

As such, I would have gone for Swainson's; however, the pale base to the lower mandible doesn't seem extensive enough, and seems to match........

Bicknell's thrush.

I remember a bird that turned up on Scilly, England in 1986 that was identified as Swainson's, then Gray-cheeked, then it turned out to be a Bicknell's - which of course is a kind of intermediate between the two. Depressingly, our national rarities committee has never accepted it as such.

Sean

To me the spots do look quite bold and black - another reason I went for Hermit. Here in Ottawa, it can be tempting to be lazy and "identify" Catharus by the situation - early Spring/late fall migrant, Hermit; late Spring/early fall migrant - check for buffy spectacles (which they almost always have), Swainson's, if not Grey-cheek (but it's very scarce here). Breeders are mostly Hermits. This year, however, after another less than satisfactory look at a Catharus, I promised myself that I had to learn to recognize them by facial/breast pattern. As Catharus can be quite shy and elusive, one often doesn't get to see the tail for positive Hermit ID. But I'll admit that this is still a work in progress for me!

By the way, Michael said that unless he stated otherwise we could assume the birds were from Washington state, which would tend to rule out Grey-cheek, except as a vagrant. And Bicknell's may have a better chance of showing up in Britain!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back