• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Food Poachers (1 Viewer)

DDolan1075

I have been having issues with raccoons steeling my bird seed and ripping my feeders apart. I have been trying to keep them from climbing the pole with a tubular baffle that I bought as a deterrent. Anybody have any ideas on how I can stop these guys? I have been moving the offenders to a local park, but would like other options.

I was wondering what those of you across "the pond" have to deal with in Europe and the British Isles. Could you enlighten me and maybe show some pictures?

http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/DDolan1075/10103/Me+vs+the+Raccoons.html

Attachments

• 090220_10863Homepalmer.jpg
    090220_10863Homepalmer.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I have been having issues with raccoons steeling my bird seed and ripping my feeders apart. I have been trying to keep them from climbing the pole with a tubular baffle that I bought as a deterrent. Anybody have any ideas on how I can stop these guys? I have been moving the offenders to a local park, but would like other options.

I was wondering what those of you across "the pond" have to deal with in Europe and the British Isles. Could you enlighten me and maybe show some pictures?

http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/DDolan1075/10103/Me+vs+the+Raccoons.html

Probably not what you want to hear, but still:

In the UK (in my area at least) the Squirrels can destroy and plunder feeders; basically I had two choices.

I could spend hours each day trying to devise a new cunning plan to defeat them, and watch them laugh at my efforts.

The other choice I had was to feed them, and be entertained by them. I decided to feed them, less worry and much more fun. Now the birds' food is left alone by the Squirrels.

Like I said, not what you want to hear.;)

Hey Chris. Thanks for your response. There are may problems with feeding the raccoons. First, they are one of the carriers of Rabies around here. Second, they will destroy other things when they get here once they are finished (kind of like inviting your neighbors brat kids in when the house is not childproofed). Third we would have all of the raccoons in the area in the yard instead of 2 or 3 at a time. And lastly, they are nocturnal, so we don't see them. Several friends just bring their feeders in, but that is too much work.

I have had some luck with lowering the baffle. we will see if that helps.

Thanks again for your response!

The two main creatures which are unwelcome in my garden are Grey Squirrels and Feral Pigeons, and I do get both. The Squirrels are thankfully only occasionally, but they have destroyed feeders in the past. The Feral Pigeons are more of a nuisance because they tend to show up daily, and if left they will eat everything on the feeder tray within seconds. When I see them I go out and clap my hands loudly, which scares them onto the roof. They stay there for a short while before making another couple of attempts to land, so I do the same thing. They then will disappear for a few hours, giving everything else the chance to eat! Very frustrating, and still not exactly a solution though.

I did find what could be a solution to the Raccoons, but I'm a little wary it may make it too easy for Hawks to take birds from the feeders.

If you hang a rope/string between two points and thread on plastic bottles lengthways and then a feeder(s), then more bottles. When the Raccoons try to get to the feeders the plastic bottles will spin them off.

I've no idea how effective this is though.

It seems strange that they are able to defeat the baffle. Are the racoons able to climb around the tubular baffle?

If so, maybe try a wrap around baffle thats shaped like an inverted cone. These stand out from the pole alittle more and would keep them from climbing up.

Good luck.

I normally hang feeders on thin branches, and fat balls on bits of wire.

Works among other, against jackdaws and magpies which could finish a fatball in a day.

I thought that I had everything under control by moving the baffle lower, but they actually climb the baffle. I will try the inverted cone over the top of the baffle. Thanks for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back