• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Massive Disturbance on North Wirral (1 Viewer)

deeestuary

Dee Estuary
COCKLING ON LEASOWE SHORE: The cockle bed at Leasowe (off Leasowe Gunsite) has recently been opened by North West Fisheries for commercial cockling resulting in many vehicles on the beach racing up and down without any regard to local residents or the birdlife. This area is a Special Protection Area, a Special Area of Conservation, a Ramsar site and a SSSI yet the fisheries can completely disregard all this. As well as the damage, disturbance and noise there is litter and mess scattered everywhere, local tax payers will have to pay to get it all cleaned up. There is also the question of public safety as this is an area where many people go walking. I would advise everyone who is concerned by this to voice their concerns to the local press, MPs and councillors, but in particular complain to North West Fisheries ( http://www.nw-sfc.gov.uk/enquiry.asp ), the more people that complain the better. Natural England are the body which looks after the interests of SPAs, SACs etc but apparently fishery interests override them.

Take a look at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dewmuw/5199138659/ to get an idea of the scale of this operation, remember this area is protected specifically for it's bird life under European Law and normally holds at least 20,000 waders.

It was also on the BBC North West news tonight. Looked a right mess with 4x4s etc. all over the beach.

That upside down one has been there for a while, but there's also one so deep in the mud that you can only just see it's roof at low tide! If only more would go the same way.

Whats the situation out there now? With the severe cold weather is there an argument to be put forward to suspend the cockling due to the possible detrimental distance to feeding feeding in such extreme conditions?

Gareth

Whats the situation out there now? With the severe cold weather is there an argument to be put forward to suspend the cockling due to the possible detrimental distance to feeding feeding in such extreme conditions?

Gareth

I think it's still going on but on a much smaller scale. High tides during the day at the moment mean there can't be many hours in the day they can get out to the cockle bed. I imagine there can't be many cockles left.
Natural England are currently carrying out an investigation into what has happened. The story I heard, from a very reliable source, was that NE complained to Wirral Borough council (as land owners) about not being consulted about the opening of the Cockle Bed. WBC in turn were misled by NW Fisheries who had given them the distinct impression that they (NW Fisheries) had talked to NE and that NE had given the go ahead - that appears not to be true. I understand that the first NE knew of it was when the complaints started pouring in!
In the mean time the local MP seems to be blaming WBC for all the problems, or so it appears from what she is quoted as saying in the press.

Well the blame game starts but I bet no-one will actually be brought to account for it and disciplined in some way, preferably NW fisheries obviously! I bet they made a nice profit from handing out a ton of licenses that they shouldn't have done.

This is an extract from an article in the Liverpool Echo ( 6 Dec 2010) giving details of the proposals for setting up Marine Conservation Zones in the Irish Sea. Comments can be submitted on the content of the report and the website also lists the members of the stakeholder group who will consider the comments .

Potential new conservation areas in the Irish Sea are outlined in the second progress report from the Irish Sea conservation Zones project- including a zone on the Wirral foreshore.
The potential new Marine Conservation Zone on the Wirral coast stretches roughly from Moreton round into the Dee estuary and would aim to protect habitats such as seagrass beds and mudflats.
The aim is for Marine Conservation Zones to have the least impact possible on people’s activities. But some restrictions would apply as the zones must meet guidelines for protecting species and habitats.
Comments on the zones are being invited and will be considered as the project continues to refine its proposals.
The Second Progress Report and feedback forms can be downloaded from www.irishseaconservation.org.uk or by calling 01925 813200

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back