• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory Fl 7x42 reflection in right barrel (1 Viewer)

GoldenBear

It's been about two weeks since I bought my Victory FL 7x42's and something I did not notice initially has reveled itself.

There seems to be a circular reflection around the edge of the image in the right barrel only. Guessing it's some sort of glare off the objective or rim of the eyepiece - I really have no idea, but after careful checking it appears in the right barrel only.

It's distracting and annoying me more and more. I cannot see anything internally that might be causing it. I do wear glasses, and the prescription in my right eye is such that it has a tendency to make things look slightly more constricted than the left eye (if that makes any sense). I forget now what the doctor referred to this as, but I wonder if it might be a factor? Probably not since I have no such problem with my SLC WB or HT's although those are both 8x bins.

Not sure if I'm looking at a genuine defect (kind of doubt it), or something cause by the nature of this bin and my eyes.

Any thoughts or similar observations from other 7x42 FL owners?

GoldenBear

Binastro means you should flip the binos over so the focus wheel is underneath and your left eye is looking down the right-hand tube. What happens to the reflection?

Lee

GoldenBear

Binastro means you should flip the binos over so the focus wheel is underneath and your left eye is looking down the right-hand tube. What happens to the reflection?

Lee

I tried that and the reflection stays in the same barrel, which I suppose eliminates an issue with my eyes. I took some pics that illustrate what I'm seeing and will post them once I figure out how.

The attached pics show the crescent shaped reflection at the edge of the right eyepiece at about 4-5:00. When flipped over it's still in the the same barrel. When viewing normally, it manifests as light halo encircling the right side of the image. It's worse of course depending on the light angle, but does not appear in the left barrel.

Not sure what to do. Reluctant to send it for repair for numerous reasons, but mostly they'll say it's normal, or they can't fix it, or they will make something else worse.

Attachments

• 20190802_130217.jpg
    20190802_130217.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 20190802_130304.jpg
    20190802_130304.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 172
There are actually reflections or unwanted images in both barrels but the right side is worse than the left.

I wonder if it has actually had a repair and the optics in the right side are in a slightly different position along the axis.

Maybe the prisms are just big enough but give little room for non optimum position.
Or the baffles?

Henry would probably know.

Regards,
B.

There are actually reflections or unwanted images in both barrels but the right side is worse than the left.

I wonder if it has actually had a repair and the optics in the right side are in a slightly different position along the axis.

Maybe the prisms are just big enough but give little room for non optimum position.
Or the baffles?

Henry would probably know.

Regards,
B.

These were new old stock bought from a reputable authorized dealer so I wouldn't think they were ever repaired. Maybe poor assembly from the factory?

I'm not sure what I should do. I don't really want to return to the dealer, but I'm not sure Zeiss would or could correct them. From what I've read their service is hit or miss.

I'd appreciate any and all input or thoughts on it.

I would sent them to Zeiss. Especially as they are almost unused. It's not like you did buy some cheap wreck on e-bay and want it to be brought to as new for free.

Not sure what to do.

Hello,

I guess the inner panels are not blackened correctly.
Send the glass to Zeiss, the reflections disturb you and so it makes no sense to observe!
The Zeisservice is at least here in Germany usually very good!
You have a very high quality glass, Zeiss will take care of that!;)

Andreas

Is that any different that this photo at the bottom? That's my very own FL 7X42. I used it yesterday...

Do you have the same issue with your glasses OFF?

Attachments

• ED58E2C3-B5AF-498C-B94A-D8698FC5C7571.jpeg
    ED58E2C3-B5AF-498C-B94A-D8698FC5C7571.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Just try it with the eye cups extended. There's a temptation when wearing eyeglasses to believe you don't need to extend the eye cups. With some models this just isn't true.

Is that any different that this photo at the bottom? That's my very own FL 7X42. I used it yesterday...

Do you have the same issue with your glasses OFF?

The reflection on yours seems to be off the edge of the metal frame around the lens, whereas in mine it's definitely internal, or behind the lens.

It's hard to see the separation in the picture, but in person I can see about a 2-3mm gap between them.

I think the attached pics show it a little better. (The one without any serious reflection it the left barrel).

Attachments

• 20190804_102904.jpg
    20190804_102904.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190804_104017.jpg
    20190804_104017.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20190804_104022.jpg
    20190804_104022.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 77
Just try it with the eye cups extended. There's a temptation when wearing eyeglasses to believe you don't need to extend the eye cups. With some models this just isn't true.

I did mess with the eye relief quite a bit. The only way I eliminated the gauzy halo reflection in the right barrel is to extend the eye cups to the point it cuts off a portion of the FOV.

I very much agree that even with eyeglasses, it is sometimes necessary to raise the eye cups. For the longest time it seemed like the ease of view was not quite as good as it should have been in my SLC WB's. Only very recently did I realize the eye relief was actually a shade too long, but unfortunately the SLC does not have the very minor adjustment I wanted to try. Couple measurements and trip to the hardware for a couple o-rings, and volia! I'm still amazed how much of a comfort difference two $0.27 o-rings made.

Attachments

• 20190804_105638.jpg
    20190804_105638.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 71
Return them to the dealer without further deliberation or onto Zeiss for service.
You 've asked for advice, received some, and are having an issue with them. No idea how you say that Zeiss USA aftercare or service is hit or miss, but the matter will not go away unless you make a decision to have them looked at professionally or sell them on and take a hit. Might be optically fine for another owner.

Edit.....does you're last post suggest you've fixed the problem or are you talking about another set of bins. I'm confused now.

Last edited:
Return them to the dealer without further deliberation or onto Zeiss for service.
You 've asked for advice, received some, and are having an issue with them. No idea how you say that Zeiss USA aftercare or service is hit or miss, but the matter will not go away unless you make a decision to have them looked at professionally or sell them on and take a hit. Might be optically fine for another owner.

Edit.....does you're last post suggest you've fixed the problem or are you talking about another set of bins. I'm confused now.

Sorry, for the confusion. the last post was is a different set of bins.

Spotty Zeiss service has been noted in a number of previous threads, but I realize it's overly pessimistic to assume that I'll have an poor experience... if I do that, I may as well quit using long-term serviceability and repair as a partial reason to justify bins in this price range.

I wouldn't feel right trying to sell them to someone else and it's not the dealer's fault.

I plan to send them along to Zeiss this week and be patient. I have other bins to use, and hopefully these will be back to me in good order before winter (when I do much winter woods walking).

I did mess with the eye relief quite a bit. The only way I eliminated the gauzy halo reflection in the right barrel is to extend the eye cups to the point it cuts off a portion of the FOV.

I very much agree that even with eyeglasses, it is sometimes necessary to raise the eye cups. For the longest time it seemed like the ease of view was not quite as good as it should have been in my SLC WB's. Only very recently did I realize the eye relief was actually a shade too long, but unfortunately the SLC does not have the very minor adjustment I wanted to try. Couple measurements and trip to the hardware for a couple o-rings, and volia! I'm still amazed how much of a comfort difference two $0.27 o-rings made.
When you wrote, "The only way I eliminated the gauzy halo reflection in the right barrel is to extend the eye cups to the point it cuts off a portion of the FOV.", I concluded you will probably be unhappy when Zeiss finds nothing wrong. I wear eyeglasses and find I must sacrifice some of the FOV on many models to obtain a problem-free view. Psychologically challenging but effective.

Let us know what Zeiss says.

When you wrote, "The only way I eliminated the gauzy halo reflection in the right barrel is to extend the eye cups to the point it cuts off a portion of the FOV.", I concluded you will probably be unhappy when Zeiss finds nothing wrong. I wear eyeglasses and find I must sacrifice some of the FOV on many models to obtain a problem-free view. Psychologically challenging but effective.

Let us know what Zeiss says.

Well, I hope that's not the case considering how prominent the reflection is in one barrel only. Makes no sense to me that one should have to sacrifice FOV just to hide a reflection that probably shouldn't be there in the first place.

I'll have to wait and find out, but if they say it's normal or within spec, they'll be for sale within a couple days of getting them back.

Send them to Customer Service in Wetzlar. The team there is excellent and really dedicated. But take care to send photos that show the problem so they know exactly what to look for.

Good luck.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back