• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler identification in Thailand, Dec. 2019 (1 Viewer)

noble-lite

Hi - just been to Thailand with a group and there have been many discussions about warblers. The images may be from different photographers at different locations. Any identifications would be appreciated please. more to follow.

Attachments

• BirdQ_X7A0186.jpg
    BirdQ_X7A0186.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 92
  • WarblerQ_X7A0461.jpg
    WarblerQ_X7A0461.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 90
  • WarblerQ_X7A0933.jpg
    WarblerQ_X7A0933.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 99
  • WarblerQ_X7A0459.jpg
    WarblerQ_X7A0459.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 100
  • WarblerQ_X7A0932.jpg
    WarblerQ_X7A0932.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 98
1,2 and 4 are Phylloscopus warblers, image 4 might be a Yellow-browed Warbler?, would need profile images to advance the ID any further.

Cheers

4 seems to have a darker cap and could have a yellowish vent.. In that case add Eastern Crowned to the options please.

edit: i'd say it's not Eastern Crown, but one of 10 orso other double-striped leaf warblers in Thailand

Cheers
H

Last edited:
1. I'm not sure this is Two-barred as per Andy's suggestion, as the greater covert bar extends a bit too far (almost to the edge of the wing) and the bill seems small and dark. On the other hand, it has a more elongated structure. Any more images?
2. Hume's (Mandelli's) Leaf Warbler? Seems too weakly marked for Yellow-browed, slight crownstripe.
3. Agree with James on Plain Flowerpecker.
4. Seems to be Yellow-browed Warbler.
5. Yellow-browed Tit?

I would edge towards Yellow-browed on 1, 2 and 4, although with fairly low confidence (especially on 2).
3 and 5 both look like Plain flowerpecker

Re no.1, the super looks a bit weak for Yellow-browed and the greater coverts are not dark-centered, although there's a hint of a dark shadow under the greater covert wingbar. Some YBWs do seem to have yellow on the wing-bend. I thought the structure was a bit elongated for YBW, but that could just be the image. Can I again request more images of this one?

No.2 seems poorly marked for Yellow-browed, as I said previously. It could just be in moult though - it seems to have dropped its tertials on its left side.

Re no.5, isn't there a hint of a crest to the rear of the head? And a slight super? I could be wrong.

Re no.5, isn't there a hint of a crest to the rear of the head? And a slight super? I could be wrong.

I believe both photos 3 and 5 show the very same individual, Andy. Note the branch is the same, as is the background. The bird just moved a bit between frames and is on an unfavourable angle on pic 5.

Re no.1, the super looks a bit weak for Yellow-browed and the greater coverts are not dark-centered, although there's a hint of a dark shadow under the greater covert wingbar. Some YBWs do seem to have yellow on the wing-bend. I thought the structure was a bit elongated for YBW, but that could just be the image. Can I again request more images of this one?

No.2 seems poorly marked for Yellow-browed, as I said previously. It could just be in moult though - it seems to have dropped its tertials on its left side.

Part of the problem is that all of the warblers are at terrible angles for ID. More photos of any of these birds would be useful, if available.

#1. I think this bird does have dark centres to the GC, but that these are not obvious at this angle. This is most apparent on the outer GC, which is at an angle slightly more towards the camera. There does also seem to be a contrasting paler fringe on the other GC. The bases of the secondaries looks darker than the rest (but again very hard to judge). It does look a bit elongated, but I think that's partly related to behaviour - I've seen Yellow-browed look like this plenty of times when searching for food.
Hume's could be an option here, and it does look a bit grey-toned, but the legs are paler than I'd expect for Hume's.
The other main candidate seems to be Two-barred, but the wing bars are very broad, the legs look a bit too pale, the bill seems a bit too small and the tail seems a bit too short.

#2. Pale-fringed tertials, dark bases to secondaries and dark centres to GC should put this in the Yellow-browed/Hume's complex. I did consider Chinese Leaf initially but that shouldn't have a the dark base to secondaries and I would expect a bit more of a crown stripe. I agree it doesn't look well-marked for Yellow-browed but personally I would say that the green tones and pale legs fit Yellow-browed better than Hume's/Mandelli's. It's an odd photo though, and doesn't immediately look like a Yellow-browed/Hume's.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back