Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

EL 10x42 casing deterioration.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 09:32   #51
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
Leica US responded and said the armor on the Ultravid is not rubber and is completely synthetic of unknown material. I guess Leica Germany knows the exact material. It certainly could be PU (polyurethane).
Leica Germany via Leica UK have said that the armour is a hybrid material of NBR (which means nitrile rubber) and PVC, so this means a rubber/plastic hybrid.

Should we call it 'rubstic' or 'plubber'? No wonder Leica USA didn't know what to call it.

Presumably this achieves the grippy and flexible surface of rubber but the better wearing properties of plastic.

Lee
Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 11:47   #52
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Thanks Lee for the info ... I like "plubber"

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 15:09   #53
SeldomPerched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post

If anyone has a recent Swaro field pro let us know if it had the typical strong new rubber smell or not. If not then it should be all PU plastic and makes sense it cracked from direct sun exposure over time on the car seat.
Hello Gilmore Girl,

I have a very new 10x50 EL Field Pro and I don't remember its having the (to me) nice rubber smell of the UV models. Going to check now... Of course Lee has pretty much now answered your question.

... OK, have just done a comparative sniff test: the EL FP has a new smell but I can't tell what it is; to me it's just new. The 8x32 UVHD Plus, getting on for a year old has a different smell which is slightly rubber but also just a sort of very good quality smell. You can tell I like Leica!

So that's not much help to you at all. But they are both too new to suffer from much sun exposure yet, and sun exposure even in these climate changing days is not such a problem in Great Britain!

By the way, I was sorry to hear you had to stop using your 7x42 UVHD and hope that you have a set up that gives you as much pleasure for your nature observation.

Best wishes,

Tom

Last edited by SeldomPerched : Thursday 10th October 2019 at 15:12. Reason: Added sentence
Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 16:15   #54
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomPerched View Post
Hello Gilmore Girl,

I have a very new 10x50 EL Field Pro and I don't remember its having the (to me) nice rubber smell of the UV models. Going to check now... Of course Lee has pretty much now answered your question.

... OK, have just done a comparative sniff test: the EL FP has a new smell but I can't tell what it is; to me it's just new. The 8x32 UVHD Plus, getting on for a year old has a different smell which is slightly rubber but also just a sort of very good quality smell. You can tell I like Leica!

So that's not much help to you at all. But they are both too new to suffer from much sun exposure yet, and sun exposure even in these climate changing days is not such a problem in Great Britain!

By the way, I was sorry to hear you had to stop using your 7x42 UVHD and hope that you have a set up that gives you as much pleasure for your nature observation.

Best wishes,

Tom
Thanks for doing the sniff test Tom The Ultravid 7x42 still has a slight rubber smell to it. The handbag I mentioned with PU (polyurethane) lining has a smell, but it's not a rubber smell and not as strong.

I guess if I ever get a bino with PU armor I'll make sure not to leave it sit soaking up the sun for long.

Out of my small list of replacement binos I'm going to try the Ultravid HD+ 8x32 first to see if it will work with my newer super thin eyeglass frames.
If that doesn't work I have a few other models I want to try. I do hope the little Ultravid works. It will be nice to replace the 7x42 with a smaller, lighter weight Ultravid.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 17:24   #55
NoSpringChicken

The 'rubberiest' smelling binoculars I have owned was a pair of Minox HG 8x43. I sold them recently as I hadn't used them for some time and when I opened the box, even after nine years, the smell was strongly reminiscent of that encountered when entering a bicycle shop in my youth.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 17:32   #56
dalethorn

I bought an Ultravid 10x42 circa 2006 and always kept it in the car under the front seat, 24/7/365. It never saw much sunshine and certainly no moisture, but after 9 years when I finally sold it, the skin had a lot of deterioration. The lenses and mechanics were fine.
Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 18:10   #57
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalethorn View Post
I bought an Ultravid 10x42 circa 2006 and always kept it in the car under the front seat, 24/7/365. It never saw much sunshine and certainly no moisture, but after 9 years when I finally sold it, the skin had a lot of deterioration. The lenses and mechanics were fine.
But Dale, did your dog chew it?

Lee
Just joshing........
Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 20:01   #58
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpringChicken View Post
The 'rubberiest' smelling binoculars I have owned was a pair of Minox HG 8x43...
The only "rubbery" smell I've encountered that's actually unpleasant is on the strap of my BogPod bino-tripod adapter. I wonder whether it's natural or synthetic? It does stretch and grip very well, properties not needed in bino armor. Fortunately I don't need to use it that often.
Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 20:49   #59
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBear View Post
I remember in the promotional brochures for the Leica Trinovid BA (or maybe BN) they mentioned that the armour was made from polyurethane (PU) rubber. That must've been some time in the early 1990s, I think. Much, I suspect, depends on the other compounds (platicizers, stabilizers etc.) that are put into the mix - one kind of PU rubber can have very different properties from another, even if they look similar.
The BA/BNs indeed had polyurethane armor that as far as I could tell was indestructible. It didn't smell and mine never reacted with painted surfaces or vinyl, etc. The PU was a translucent amber/brown and the color of the bin (green, black, etc) was derived from a thin surface coat. This wore through with heavy use exposing the, once again, seemingly indestructible substrate.

Acidic sweat, deet, sunscreen, hand lotion, UV are all part of what a field bin can expect. Since we hear so little of this kind of account, it seems rather apparent (to me anyway) that Swaro misstepped with this particular covering.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 21:00   #60
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
I used to work in an industry that used different rubbers as a major product component and compatibility of different oils with different rubbers was a major issue. Some oils make some rubbers shrink because the oil draws a component out of the rubber, while some other oils can make rubbers swell because a component in the oil invades the rubber chemically. In either case the rubber not only changed its size and shape but also its physical characteristics making it useless at performing its function.

As a result, I always wash my hands of any kind of oily substance before handling binos. Its worth noting that Swaro has called the EL's armour 'plastic' which may have other strengths and weaknesses compared with rubbers.

Lee

I try to keep my hands clean before handling most anything I'm fond of.
Bins, scopes, musical instruments, nose picking ...
I think it's paid off.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 11th October 2019, 07:59   #61
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
I try to keep my hands clean before handling most anything I'm fond of.
Bins, scopes, musical instruments, nose picking ...
I think it's paid off.
I think this is very wise Kev and it was a relief to see your list stop before it gave too much information.........

Lee
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 09:41   #62
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Well Lee,

A man's got to know his limitations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clint copy.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	707274  

Old Friday 11th October 2019, 12:22   #63
MandoBear

Lee,
I wonder if there's any mileage in setting up a "Binocular Sniffing" sub-forum...
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 12:45   #64
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBear View Post
Lee,
I wonder if there's any mileage in setting up a "Binocular Sniffing" sub-forum...
Great idea Mando, and there have been many comments about bino-aromas over the years, with one bino being memorably described as a stinking old used auto tyre. But thinking back over those years I suspect that a whisky-tasting sub-forum would be first on the list.

Lee
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 00:57   #65
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
But thinking back over those years I suspect that a whisky-tasting sub-forum would be first on the list.

Lee
Umh, ... Lee
Can you please get on that?
I've got SO much to say!

Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 12:15   #66
MandoBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
Umh, ... Lee
Can you please get on that?
I've got SO much to say!
My wife and I cracked open a bottle of Glenlivet Founder's Reserve last night...

Oooohhh! I'd forgotten how much I enjoy a really nice Speyside malt. I've been a little sidetracked by some of the more "tangy" island malts lately, and the Glenlivet is a delightful return to something a little lighter.

On the subject of sniffing binoculars - I have a very nice pair of Pentax Marine 7x50s in their case. When I open up the case and inhale the aroma therein, I get such a waft of nostalgia - the smell of those Japanese-made hard cases and the hard, pebbly, leatherette covering of the binoculars - it takes me right back to my early birwatching forays in the early 80s, watching lapwings, redshank, grebes, herons and the like over the millpond and flood meadows that were (then) local to me.
Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 14:34   #67
Troubador

The Whisky Bar

OK, you asked for it!

The Whisky Bar is open: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread...03#post3906303

Visit this thread with your tales of malts loved and malts loathed, all are welcome.

Lee
Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 18:55   #68
MandoBear

Lee,
I can't seem to get into the Whisky Bar...

"MandoBear, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

Can you show me the way to the (old) Whisky Bar? Oh, don't ask why... Oh, don't ask why...
Old Sunday 20th October 2019, 01:41   #69
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
The only "rubbery" smell I've encountered that's actually unpleasant is on the strap of my BogPod bino-tripod adapter. I wonder whether it's natural or synthetic? It does stretch and grip very well, properties not needed in bino armor. Fortunately I don't need to use it that often.
I agree I have the same Bogpod, and when new it is a very smelly affair.

It does go away in time. I recently got new tires on my pickup, and the
garage has that new tire smell, not so bad actually...

Jerry
Old Monday 21st October 2019, 19:42   #70
Barred Wobbler

Bins came back today.

New front caps were an unexpected bonus.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: