• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed to find Nikon 40x/60x/75x wide MC eyepiece (1 Viewer)

MNSpotter

Hello All!

First post as I just joined. I need some help finding a specific piece of equipment. Im looking for a 40x/60x/75x wide MC eyepiece to use in a Nikon Fieldscope ED50...ot the DS versions. Nikon no longer sells them and I prefer the fixed focal length rather than the zoom. So I’m hoping someone here has one they’d like to part with or know someone who would! Way back in the day they even made a 60x to use on the ED50...but they didn’t make many. I’d be interested in that too!

Thanks so much!
Alex

...Im looking for a 40x/60x/75x wide MC eyepiece to use in a Nikon Fieldscope ED50...ot the DS versions...

I sympathize. The MC and older WF eyepieces rarely surface on-line, and when they do it is usually bundled with a scope (but sometimes worth buying, even so). Why not get the DS versions, which are widely available? They aren't much, if at all, larger than the MC versions (with twist-up eyecups). I actually prefer the even older WF series eyepieces with the ED50 because they have the same optics as the MC but are much less bulky (folding eyecup).

...Way back in the day they even made a 60x to use on the ED50...but they didn’t make many...

Really? I am pretty sure that I'm familiar with every Fieldscope eyepiece ever made and I've never heard of that one. It would be over 100x if used on the 82ED. With such high powers, FOV will be limited, so you should be able to adapt an appropriate 0.965 astronomy eyepiece that would work just as well as anything.

--AP

Thanks for the reply and the info...I’ve got a bit more research to do. My understanding is the the MC series was not only multicoated but had all ED glass too. Perhaps they’ve updated the DS series as I didn’t think they had the right twist cups. I’ll have to go check one out.

As far as the 60x version info that was given to my from a dealer. Yes, would be a potential issue with FOV hit would be a unique solution at times.

I’ll keep digging in!

Hello All!

First post as I just joined. I need some help finding a specific piece of equipment. Im looking for a 40x/60x/75x wide MC eyepiece to use in a Nikon Fieldscope ED50...ot the DS versions. Nikon no longer sells them and I prefer the fixed focal length rather than the zoom. So I’m hoping someone here has one they’d like to part with or know someone who would! Way back in the day they even made a 60x to use on the ED50...but they didn’t make many. I’d be interested in that too!

Thanks so much!
Alex

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Field-..._3?keywords=ds+eyepiece&qid=1571164386&sr=8-3

Thanks for the reply and the info...I’ve got a bit more research to do. My understanding is the the MC series was not only multicoated but had all ED glass too. Perhaps they’ve updated the DS series as I didn’t think they had the right twist cups. I’ll have to go check one out.

As far as the 60x version info that was given to my from a dealer. Yes, would be a potential issue with FOV hit would be a unique solution at times.

I’ll keep digging in!

The glass isn't substantively different between any of the traditional Fieldscope eyepiece series. The coatings have improved slightly over the years, even within the same series, but not enough for me to care about. The DS eyepieces are overall the newest series. The DS eyepieces don't have an eyecup, just a rubber covering, but you can fashion your own from bicycle innertube or similar (I wear glasses, so I don't use eyecups). The DS eyepieces have the virtue of being widely available, usually shipped new from Japan for ~$200, but sometimes come up used for less.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Fiel...203716&hash=item469be9ceb7:g:vrsAAOSwlk1dYZT~

--AP

Thanks for the replies everyone. I posted another thread to see if anyone has compared the MC to DS versions side by side. If an MC version doens't pop up soon I'll go with the DS.

Appreciate your input.

Thank you dwatsonbirder. Yes, it's certainly a good price, but is the DS version. Really hoping to find the MC version, but appreciate the link. I didn't know about that source. I may go this route eventually.

Sorry if this is too late, but I would'nt push the ED50 to 40x. I've been using it with the 27x MC for years and it's great but not really bright. Eyeryone who looks through it is impressed and I can carry it all day on a little carbon tripod.

Thanks for the insight Kammerdiner. I have a friend with the 40x MC and while it is darker than the 27x, it's still brighter than the 13-40x eyepiece at 40x setting (which makes sense). I do find the 40x useful though from time to time...but haven't yet tried the DS version against the MC. Hoping to do that soon if I can get my hands on a dS without buying first.

Thanks for the insight Kammerdiner. I have a friend with the 40x MC and while it is darker than the 27x, it's still brighter than the 13-40x eyepiece at 40x setting (which makes sense). I do find the 40x useful though from time to time...but haven't yet tried the DS version against the MC. Hoping to do that soon if I can get my hands on a dS without buying first.

Yes, I think mine came with the 13-30x and honestly the zoom is still in the box. A little scope like this deserves a fixed magnification. Enjoy it, because its a real gem.

I often use my ED50 with the 16x/24x/30X MC rather than any of the other eyepieces because I really like the view a lot. In many situations the magnification is enough, especially in woodland.

And if I need more magnification quickly, I use the Zeiss tripler (3x12). It fits with an adapter very well in the eyecup, and give me 48x. Of course the optical quality isn't that great. But that combination gives me a quite a lot more detail than 16x, and the view is often more than sufficient for a quick ID.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back