Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

considering getting a recorder, what should I buy...?

Old Saturday 15th June 2019, 08:25   #26
Torchepot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMS View Post

Also got an Audiomoth device as a nocmig starter kit for the garden. Almost more excited about that one !
Just reread your post and the Audiomoth looks really interesting - maybe worth a thread detailing it’s use and results - is anyone else on BF using one I wonder?
Old Saturday 15th June 2019, 10:32   #27
GMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchepot View Post
Just reread your post and the Audiomoth looks really interesting - maybe worth a thread detailing it’s use and results - is anyone else on BF using one I wonder?
I ordered one via the ongoing group get, so will have to wait for a little while to get my hand on it and test it. I don't think it will be able to compete with the more serious set ups but size, cost and very low power consumption look very attractive to start off with. Brief review below

https://nocmig.com/audiomoth/
Old Saturday 15th June 2019, 17:31   #28
Torchepot

Thanks GMS, do you know if yours has the possibility to plug in an external mic?
Old Sunday 16th June 2019, 09:10   #29
GMS

I don’t think so but don’t know for sure.
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 16:42   #30
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

Decision made and recorder ordered. Went for the Zoom h4n in the end so hopefully will get my head round it (and Audacity) and end up with some half decent recordings in time.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 15:10   #31
Fat Paul Scholes
My real name is Mark Lewis

Great stuff - hope you have a lot of fun with it. If nothing else, recording birds has made me much better at listening to them. I use the Zoom, and audacity, so happy to answer any questions.
Old Monday 2nd September 2019, 21:03   #32
andyrhodes

Hi, I've just bought the Tascam DR-05 and would like some advice from those who use one. I have read a few threads to to try and understand what settings I should be using.
I have my settings on
Wav 16 bit and 44.1k
Size 2g
Low cut - 120 hz
Auto tone -off
Tone secs 1 sec
Tone Vol - -18dB
Mode - off
Level - -48db

I have to admit I don't know what half of these make an and would appreciate some advice on what see tongs I should be using for nocmig and general recording when out in the field.
Also I see that I can buy an expensive power supply for plugging in to a socket at home when I'm nocmiging. It looks that same as a mobile phone charger plug. Can I use one of those?
Thanks
Andy
Old Monday 2nd September 2019, 21:05   #33
andyrhodes

"I have to admit I don't know what half of these make an and would appreciate some advice on what see tongs I should be using for nocmig and general recording when out in the field"
Whoops crap typing. I meant to say
I don't know what half of these mean and would appreciate some advice on what settings I should be using
Old Monday 2nd September 2019, 22:55   #34
iveljay

At the moment I don't have one of these to hand so am a bit limited on any testing of what really happens, but:

Auto tone - is sometimes referred to as Slate tone. One use is to simplify synchronising sound recorded on the DR05 to the video camera it is connected to. My guess is is that you are not doing that and the second use is for marking points on a file so you can index them easily. As you have set Mode off I am guessing that you arn't doing this either so you can ignore any of the last 5 settings you have listed altogether.

Size 2G means that the file size maxes out at 2 gigabytes which is the max on this recorder and is the default anyway - so this doesn't need to be touched either.

Recording at 16 bit 44.1kHz means that you are recording at the equivalent of a commercial CD which is more than good enough for most puposes.

Low cut means that you are not recording any sounds with frequencies below 120Hz - cuts out a lot of unwanted noise, but you may wish to compare the resoults with other settings.

You havn't mentioned your actual recording settings, so I am assuming you will be using manual, probably at max, with Limiter on.

Quite frankly if you point your microphones skywards with these settings you will have some idea of what, if anything you need to change, once you record something.

My memory is that the USB connector on the side of the DR05 is not the same as many modern phone charger connections, but is capable of taking current from a USB port on a computer, so any suitable 5v USB charging device sounds a possibility - clearly I cannot recommend it as you are probably invalidating your warranty by trying it, but you are probably on ther right lines.

The DR05 comes from the manufacturer set up to work with simple defaults that suit the majority of people. The best advice is to use it and then start tweaking. Your headphones will give you a very good idea if your volume is high enough etc. while you are recording. If you don't use your headphones you stand the risk of listining to several hours of hiss hoping to hear something.

If I can find a DR05 I might be a bit more use, but in the meantime - plug in your phones and see how you get on. A few rehearsals before anything important needs recording is usually pretty vital.
Old Tuesday 3rd September 2019, 00:45   #35
Torchepot

iveljay is right - the DR05 needs a connecting cable with a mini B (or mini USB) to power it. I’ve recorded for many weeks using a basic tablet charger and one of these leads with no issue. I’ve used three different chargers with no problems (these are the chargers that came with various tablets - just with the different lead plugged in).

I haven’t changed the settings much on my DR05 since I first set it up - but I’ll have a look tomorrow and check them out.
Old Tuesday 3rd September 2019, 20:43   #36
andyrhodes

Thanks for your quick replies. I have checked it with the phone charger with it and it works, I just wanted some advice as when looking on the web it sounded like I needed a special expensive plug. I will just use the settings I have and the play with it a bit.
Again thanks
Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 15:51   #37
Borjam
BF Supporter 2019

However, when using phone chargers, not all of them are created equal. Good ones aren't expensive anyway.

Many crappy ones have poor electrical isolation (ie, they are outright dangerous) and/or are unable to supply a reliable and stable current.

A good bet (and cheap) are official Raspberry Pi power supplies. They can supply 2 A reliably and as far as I know the design has been checked for safety.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 07:29   #38
Ries

Question: how would the new Olympus Ls-p4 compare to the older but reputed ls-11, especially considering recording quality for bird calls (faint nocmig ones too)?
Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 22:11   #39
Vollmeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveljay View Post
Recording at 16 bit 44.1kHz means that you are recording at the equivalent of a commercial CD which is more than good enough for most puposes.
Well, one point is true, a sample rate of 44.1 kHz and bit depth of 16 bit will deliver a sound "more than good enough", if your signal likewise was "more than good enough".

When recording faint bird calls from a distance, you have to raise gain, normalize and / or apply some further postprocessing steps to make even poor results useful.

The effectiveness of those postprocessing steps depends on the amount of information your recording delivers. These facts in mind you should raise the bit depth to 24 or even 32 bit to avoid clipping and distortions in the processed results.
Old Friday 15th November 2019, 02:59   #40
iveljay

A couple of points, firstly, most hand held recorders including the DR05 can only go to 24 bit. The second being that if you are looking for increasing your resolution you also have headroom on the sample rate.

Either way, we are talking about folks starting out in audio and for many playing with the simplest audio tools is a bit trial and error, the learning curve seems quite steep. My advice is always the same - experiment with files recorded at both resolutions, when you can honestly say that you have the technical skills to tell the difference there is no argument - you should record at 24 bit. Until then you just have to have more storagefor the bigger files. If you want to play safe always record at 24, though in my case I rarely need it. Other folks do things differently to me and that is fine. The main thing is to determine what works best for you.

On another point I will try and do a runoff between an LS-P4 and an LS-11 in the next few days. Probably an academic exercise for most folks these days, but I am interested in the result myself. With the recent foul weather its going to be a case of coordinating my spare time with an opportunity to record something other than heavy rain or howling wind.

About the last time I was looking at comparing the LS-11 with the LS-14, the forerunner of the LS-P4, was back in 2014 and all the online data from that era is no longer online. My memory was that there was little real difference and the only small handheld that I tested that was quantifiably better than the LS-11 for recording birdsong via a shotgun was my Sony as it had far better pre-amps. My guess is that comparing an LS-11 against a LS-P4 using their inbuilt microphones will show little difference, but it will be nice to be proved wrong. We shall see.
Old Friday 15th November 2019, 06:32   #41
Ries

Thanks for your reply and looking forward to your tests!

In the meantime I bought a 2ndhand ls-11 on fleabay. Besides the raving reviews everywhere, I saw on yt a comparison between that, ls-14 and tascam dr-40 in which the ls-11 sounded remarkably well (bird chirp on the background verrry clear). Besides that I read Olympus has gone down the bells-and-whistles road with almost too much options for a simple recording person like me. And the added 3rd mic to enhance low sounds seems unnecessary to me for bird sounds (besides a bitter maybe).

Now deciding between a windjammer from Rycote or Gutmann.
Old Tuesday 19th November 2019, 00:08   #42
Peter Ericsson

Hi Ivel,

I have an LS 12 but it is rather slow to start up. I use it with a regular Sennheizer microphone.
I want a back up recorder, a simple one that I can just pull out quickly and do an immediate recording. The reason being is that I mostly go birding and have the camera with me, thus it takes time to get the recording gear ready as I dismantle it every time I use it.

My quesiton is. Can you recommend something. My friend uses a Sony cheap version and I am surprised how well it performs. But I now see many talk about Tascam. This is not all that important as it would mostly be when I dont have time to use my regular gear but something for immediate use.
Thank you for any input.

Peter

Last edited by Peter Ericsson : Tuesday 19th November 2019 at 00:09. Reason: forgot to address it
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: